Go Down

Topic: UHF/VHF Radio Integration (Read 4594 times) previous topic - next topic

Narwhal

Jan 29, 2011, 02:15 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2011, 02:17 pm by Narwhal Reason: 1
I am making a UAV at the moment that is powered by an Arduino Uno, and I think it would be a great feature to have a UHF/VHF radio so I could send and receive aviation radio comms if I ever needed to inform other aircraft or air traffic control of my UAV's intentions. Can anyone recommend a good way to do this using Arduino?

It might also be worth noting that I will be using a WiShield 2.0 to send information to a 3G hotspot on the UAV, and this audio data would be sent and received that way. I would sample the radio at about 8kHz (to be consistent with standard sampling procedures on aircraft), and I imagine each sample would be a byte. This means I would have to process 8,000 bytes for thresholding before I sent it to the WiShield, do you think the Arduino is capable of this?

EDIT: I should probably add I would like the Arduino to be capable of changing the frequency being monitored and broadcasted, and if possible the squelch.

baum

It should be fine with the speeds- the period (from Period = 1/freq.) is ~125 microseconds, which the arduino can handle. (It can handle up to about 1Mhz timings)

baum

@Richard Crowley:
Well said.

Narwhal

I do have a radio operators license (I am a private pilot), and even though I do not plan to fly the UAV in airspace with regular traffic I don't discount the fact that something could happen that would put the UAV off course and potentially into the airspace of other aircraft. I don't expect to use Voice Recognition either, I would like to transmit by my comms link to the UAV and interact personally with them if I ever needed to. It's more of a safety feature than anything.

I was thinking of using a Handheld UHF/VHF radio, stripping the battery out of it (which I imagine would be most of its weight), and initially connecting the speaker and microphone wires directly into the arduino. I should be able to carry the payload of a batteryless handheld.

Narwhal

I think you are confused. I don't want to use them to control all my UAV comms (that's reserved for 3G), all I want to do is be able to communicate with air traffic control or other air traffic if my UAV for some reason drifts off into airspace where it might cause a problem. So I would send and receive audio via 3G and use that on the onboard UHF/VHF radio.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy