Go Down

Topic: Creating a low-cost pin-compatible Arduino/Due board using an STM32L471 (Read 14032 times) previous topic - next topic

lkcl

ok so what the heck, let's go for it: sent the board off to the factory, QTY 10 PCBs - i'll do the assembly myself.  have heat-gun, have soldering iron, it's mostly 0805 components, i've done QFP-100s before.  should hear back from the factory late next week.

lkcl

ok!  so the boards arrived at the factory, we're just waiting for the components: the vendors are a bit slow as there's not much profit in this for them, so my friend mike put it on the back of a larger order.  should be here by the end of the week and i can start assembly.  woo!

westfw

lkcl

so i outlined the full news here:

http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2630&p=35904#p35904

basically... the STM32L471VCT6 isn't available through the Shenzhen eco-system. if anyone wants to try this out i have 10 PCBs available: all the parts are available on digikey.

lkcl

ok update: by accident it looks like i've designed a board that could take an STM32F103VCT6 (with some minor power-modifications) or an F427 with no modifications at all.  it's therefore "rescuable" so i'll try a range of different processors, see how it goes.

dc42

I'm late to this thread; but did you consider the ATSAM4S processor range? They are a fraction of the price of the ATSAM3X8E processor used on the Arduino Due, but faster and with more RAM and a Cortex M4 core. From a programming perspective, they are very similar to the ATSAM3X8E, so firmware for the Due would be easy to port.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

lkcl

I'm late to this thread; but did you consider the ATSAM4S processor range? They are a fraction of the price of the ATSAM3X8E processor used on the Arduino Due, but faster and with more RAM and a Cortex M4 core. From a programming perspective, they are very similar to the ATSAM3X8E, so firmware for the Due would be easy to port.
hiya dc42, nice to hear from you on here.  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATSAM4S8CA-AUR/1611-ATSAM4S8CA-AURCT-ND/6832651 so something like that one, which is a 100-pin LQFP, and $2.89 in reasonable volume.

checking on taobao...  yyyehh they look like fakes which probably means the only way to get it would be to import it.  atmel's presence here in shenzhen just... doesn't seem to be as good, except for the 8/16-bit stuff.

also: the due reference design is actually for a 144-pin ATSAM3, and the ATSAM4S series doesn't have a 144-pin variant.  they really really struggled to get a good pin-compatibility on the Due, with the 144-pin ATSAM3.

the ST 32-bit processors on the other hand, some of them seem to be extremely common, and easily accessible.  i've been able to get hold of the STM32F427VIT6 here for example, and will try th STM32F401VET6 next.  or.. i would... if it had DAC :)  i will keep searching.

so you know i'm doing this primarily for a 3D-printing board, if i was doing an SBC then yes i would definitely look at the ATSAM4S.  i'm... experimenting, here :)  as i do, i want to see what's possible.

Go Up