Go Down

Topic: Duffer at Math it seems ! help (Read 757 times) previous topic - next topic

Fixador

Newbie here - with a Uno for xmas !

What I intend to do is measure the temperature distribution ( in magnitude and time ) in a pelleted 'soild' fuel as it burns down - inside a can ( with variable rates of air supplied from below ) .
I have added an arduino shield for measuring the output of 4 thermocouples - ( type K ) - from Ryan McLaughlin
Ultimate output is to an Excel spreadsheet - via PLX-DAQ - to plot a chart.

After much assistance from Ryan ! I have got the setup recording to Excel - with a sketch just to measure room temperatures.

However - there are perculiarities in PLX -DAQ - which I am struggling to modify the sketch to scale the Serial outputs to something PLX-DAQ will accept
Code: [Select]
/*
  Multi_Temp.pde - Example using the MAX6675 Library.
  Created by Ryan McLaughlin <ryanjmclaughlin@gmail.com>
*/

#include <MAX6675.h>

int LED1 = 6; // Status LED Pin
int CS0 = 7; // CS pin on MAX6675
int CS1 = 8; // CS pin on MAX6675
int CS2 = 9; // CS pin on MAX6675
int CS3 = 10; // CS pin on MAX6675
int SO = 12; // SO pin of MAX6675
int SCK = 13; // SCK pin of MAX6675
int units = 1; // Units to readout temp (0 = ?F, 1 = ?C)
float error1 = 0.0; // Temperature compensation error
float error2 = 0.0; // Temperature compensation error
float error3 = 0.0; // Temperature compensation error
float error4 = 0.0; // Temperature compensation error
int status = 0; // Varible to control the status led

float temp[4];

MAX6675 temp0(CS0,SO,SCK,units,error1);
MAX6675 temp1(CS1,SO,SCK,units,error2);
MAX6675 temp2(CS2,SO,SCK,units,error3);
MAX6675 temp3(CS3,SO,SCK,units,error4);

// Setup Serial output and LED Pin 
// MAX6675 Library already sets pin modes for MAX6675 chip!
//Warning : PLX_DAQ only accepts data between values 11 and 199 : outside this range generates an error
// So if attampting to read t/c from 1 to 1000 degC range will need to reduce intervals - say 10deg, so 200deg outputs as 20 - then have excel x10
// on interval 10deg: PLX range 11 to 199 : translates as 110deg to 1990deg - hmmmm !
//on interval 5 deg : PLX range 11 to 199 :translates as 22deg to 995 deg ! better ...could introduce a fixed offset of say +150 ie, y=mx+c : gives 172deg to 1145 deg
//on interval 5 deg & offset = + 28 deg: PLX range 11 to 199 :translates as 27deg to 1023 deg
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(LED1, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  temp[0] = temp0.read_temp(5); // Read the temp 5 times and return the average value
  temp[1] = temp1.read_temp(5); // Read the temp 5 times and return the average value
  temp[2] = temp2.read_temp(5); // Read the temp 5 times and return the average value
  temp[3] = temp3.read_temp(5); // Read the temp 5 times and return the average value

//  Serial.print("Temperature: \t"); // Print Header to Serial
  Serial.print("DATA,TIME,TIMER");   // required by PLX-DAQ
  for (int i=0; i<4; i++){ // Loop through each of the four temps
    status = 0; // Reset the status to 0 before we check for errors
    Serial.print(",");           // comma must precede each data for PLX-DAQ
    if(temp[i] == -1) { // If there is an error with the TC, temperature will be -1
      Serial.print("11"); // Temperature is -1 and there is a thermocouple error............. elect to send "999" for PLX-DAQ
        status++; // Add to the status varible so status LED turns on
    } else {
      Serial.print(((temp[i]-28)/5));   // Print the temperature to Serial : algorithm for PLX-DAQ : temp range = 83 to 1023deg - its automatically truncated
     // Serial.print((temp[i]));  // for a first test 11 to 199 deg C :t/c's at room temp
    }
    //Serial.print("\t");          // Print a tab to demininate the data
  }

if(status > 0) {               // Check if we should turn on the status LED
    digitalWrite(LED1, HIGH);    // Turn on the status LED
  } else {
    digitalWrite(LED1, LOW);     // Turn off the status LED
  }
  Serial.println(" ");

delay(2000);    // Wait two second before reading again
}

The room temperature test used
Serial.print((temp[i]));  // for a first test 11 to 199 deg C :t/c's at room temp

For testing in a small gas flame - off the cooker
Serial.print(((temp[i]-28)/5));

This adjustment all stems down to :-
//Warning : PLX_DAQ only accepts data between values 11 and 199 : outside this range generates an error

Unfortunately in Excel - I didnt get the flame temperatures. These are my readings:-

T/C#1 :  Excel reading = 171 degC    and from Multimeter reading = 820 degC
T/C#2 :  Excel reading = 165 degC    and from Multimeter reading = 830 degC
T/C#3 :  Excel reading = 175 degC    and from Multimeter reading = 840 degC
T/C#4 :  Excel reading = 158 degC    and from Multimeter reading = 825 degC

As it was a small flame - an I was holding the thermocouples in place with my hand - I am not concerned at the difference in readings say - the 4 Excel readings , or the 4 Multimeter readings - as a tiny movement of my fingers would cause a big temperature change.

But why is my Excel readings so low ???????   

Paul

PaulS

Since you are dividing the reading by 5, in order to make PLX-DAQ (whatever that is) happy, presumably in Excel you need to multiply by 5 again, and add the 28 back.

Fixador

O heck !   its been a long trip since xmas ! stumbled at the last - so to speak !     :smiley-red:

thank you PaulS

Go Up