Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Atmega 328 standalone  (Read 2452 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Plop your bootloaded part on a breadboard with 16MHx xtal, two 22pf caps, 10K reset pullup resistor.
Get an FTDI Basic (or equivalent), wire up the Atmega Vcc, Gnd, Rx, Tx, and Reset to the FTDI Vcc, Gnd, Tx, Rx and DTR pins.
Tell the IDE you have a 16 MHz 5V Duemilanova, should be ready to go!
I think there are playground examples that discuss just this.
There are other options as well - such as using the FTDI on your existing Arduino to do the same (if so equipped).

Thanks much. There seem to be multiple choices of FTDI devices on the Sparkfun site alone and it's not clear (to me at least) which one to get. Can you confirm that this is the correct type of device? http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I would go with this instead.
http://yhst-27389313707334.stores.yahoo.net/arliandpropr.html

There have seen some quite recent posts here saying the right angle one is having trouble with traces breaking.
This one is good & solid. I have been using mine to program prominis since August with no problems at all under Windows Vista, and I have plugged & unplugged it a lot!
I think I may have missed something when I was setting up the drivers, that was a bit of a struggle the first day or two. No problems since.
Where you are connecting to a breadboard, you may want to scrounge up a set of 0.025" square posts that you plug in the board, then plug this onto the pins and make your connections from there.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I would go with this instead.
http://yhst-27389313707334.stores.yahoo.net/arliandpropr.html

There have seen some quite recent posts here saying the right angle one is having trouble with traces breaking.
This one is good & solid. I have been using mine to program prominis since August with no problems at all under Windows Vista, and I have plugged & unplugged it a lot!
I think I may have missed something when I was setting up the drivers, that was a bit of a struggle the first day or two. No problems since.
Where you are connecting to a breadboard, you may want to scrounge up a set of 0.025" square posts that you plug in the board, then plug this onto the pins and make your connections from there.

Thanks for your patience! Is this an equivalent device? http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=284

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Looks like it. And there's the pins I mentioned too.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

My project will be an Atmega 328 standalone programmed to blink LEDs in a pattern. The device will include a holder for 3 AA batteries, and I will ask the user to supply his or her own batteries. Should I include a diode or something else to protect the device in case the user puts the batteries in backwards?

Thanks in advance!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Why not make it foolproof? Put in a MAX1811 & LiPO battery, have them connect to a USB port for charging.

Your way sounds less expensive tho. Diode wouldn't hurt.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Why not make it foolproof? Put in a MAX1811 & LiPO battery, have them connect to a USB port for charging.

Your way sounds less expensive tho. Diode wouldn't hurt.

Cheap is good.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: