Go Down

Topic: ArduinoISP Vendor/Device ID wrong (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic

nutmeg

Hi guys,

I bought a new ISP because my old one has a loose connection, and it has a different Vendor ID than the old one.

The old one is 0x2341/0x0049.
The new one is 0x2a03/0x0049.

I am using Arduino 1.6.8 on OSX 10.11.4. My old ISP works fine but I have to hold the USB cord in. The new one gives an error:
Code: [Select]
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)
Error while burning bootloader.

How would I go about adding the new Vendor ID to Arduino, so it can be used correctly?

I purchased this ISP (as well as the old one) from Mouser, I don't think it is a fake... it came in a slightly smaller (Arduino branded) box than the old one.

The UPC on the old box is 8058333490663. The UPC on the new box is 7640152110665. Both ISPs are labeled as ISP R3.

I'm attaching a photo of the ISPs. The old one (more blue) on the bottom and the new one (more green) on top.

DrAzzy

Mar 30, 2016, 06:06 pm Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016, 06:07 pm by DrAzzy
The new one is from the rogue Arduino (arduino.org - they used to be the board manufacturer, but they went rogue and stopped paying the Arduino project, and then started claiming to be the real Arduino. Last I heard, legal action was ongoing. There's more info on the drama online).

But that is not really actionable information for you...

Why not just use one of the cheapo USB Asps from ebay? They're like $3 a piece.
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

nutmeg

Mar 30, 2016, 09:52 pm Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016, 09:59 pm by nutmeg
The new one is from the rogue Arduino (arduino.org - they used to be the board manufacturer, but they went rogue and stopped paying the Arduino project, and then started claiming to be the real Arduino. Last I heard, legal action was ongoing. There's more info on the drama online).
So I am assuming the arduino.cc that I have been using for years is the real, original, arduino, and arduino.org is the new one?

But that is not really actionable information for you...
Actually, it is. I called Mouser and received a credit on our account for sending me a counterfeit item. I would like to purchase another one just like the one I bought from mouser in 2014. Are they even still in production- I don't see them listed for sale on arduino.cc.

Why not just use one of the cheapo USB Asps from ebay? They're like $3 a piece.
Because I was trying to purchase a "Real Arduino" to avoid issues like this in the first place ;) I also like supporting Arduino.

dmjlambert

I don't see them listed for sale on arduino.cc.
That is discontinued at arduino.cc.   You can get any Arduino and upload the Arduino as ISP sketch to it, and make your own ISP programmer.   If you want to get fancy you can even solder on a cable and 2x3 female header.   

How would I go about adding the new Vendor ID to Arduino, so it can be used correctly?
If you want to just use the ArduinoISP device, you should be able to flash the firmware on it from arduino.cc, and then it will have the same PID/VID as your worn one.   

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy