Go Down

Topic: ENC28J60 vs Wiznet: what's the CURRENT status? (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic

maniacbug

Also, MDfly is selling a board based on this chip for $17.  http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_41&products_id=109

They're sold out now, but I managed to grab one while still in stock.  The price was just too temping, although it's clear that bringing it up is going to be a giant pain from everything I see written out there.

maniacbug

Pinging this thread up again, in case anyone finds it while trying to make this same decision. 

After investing a couple of months in the ENC28J60, I strongly recommend ANYTHING ELSE :)  The big problem with the TCP/IP stack in software is that it's really unreliable.  There is not a big community using this chip, so the stack does not get the benefit of crowd-sourced bullet-proofing.  I've now installed and tested every implementation I could find, and I can't find anything that works as a client which is reliable and remotely easy to use.

But what is a big deal in this case is reliability:  some of the sensors will be installed in locations where it would be an all-day trip to push the reset button,  so it's important that there are no mystery gotchas in the drivers that cause the system to flake out once a week,  or even once a quarter.

This is exactly what I'm finding happening.  So now I'm working on a watchdog reset solution.  But still, the mean time to failure in my system is about an hour of sending packets once a minute.

maniacbug

yuo might want to checkout http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Nanode

Cool..  Nanode is pretty nifty, I might want to make something like that!  Problem is, Nanode uses EtherShield.  Same problems as stated above :|  Piles of complexity...  Where do you even start if something goes wrong.  Less cleaned up than EtherCard.

dhunt

May 23, 2011, 02:27 pm Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:34 pm by dhunt Reason: 1
Have you seen the Freetronics EtherTen? Its basically an Arduino UNO plus the Wiznet Ethernet Shield combined into one (SD card slot included).  It also supports Power over Ethernet, both a cheap version of PoE and the official version of PoE.

I bought one to act as the controller for a zigbee network and it took almost no time to load the standard web server example sketch and get it running (the one that returns readings from the analog pins).

Go Up