Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What's it called? (looking for part)  (Read 2011 times)
Around St. Louis
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Ok, I'm looking for the name of what I would call a stepping potentiometer.

Pretty much I want a turn dial, but I want it to have 6-8 turn stops. Like a Extra High, High, Medium, Low, Extra Low turn knob. What are these called, and where can I get them? I looked on ebay for step potentiometers and found things called Attenuator Potentiometers, but those are like 24 steps (way to many for what I want) or higher. They are also much larger then I want. Anyone know what I am talking about?

T__T I hope someone replies. It's a pretty simple question. I just don't know what they are called.

What I'm wanting to do with this is make a configuration circuit out of this type of thing and a few buttons. Any help would be appreciated.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Do you mean something like this?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH6101-ND
Or do you really just want a potentiometer that you will read a voltage from?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

pot with "detents", that's the term you were looking for

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P12427TR-ND

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Around St. Louis
View Profile

That's kind of what I wanted, but I only wanted the 3 pin variety (1 input voltage, 1 ground, 1 output).

My brother suggested I look for rotary switch, but those have a lot of output pins also. I'm wanting to be able to hook up one knob to one analog signal.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Do a search for "potentiometer with detents" , see what comes up - 'detents' is the key you were after.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:56:32 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I think your going to have a very difficult problem finding something like that. Your brother is right. Use a single pole 6-8 position rotary switch. Then wire a 6-8 series resistor voltage divider. Then wire the junctions of the resistors to the switch contacts and the switch common contact becomes your output voltage.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

The part I referenced earlier, while surface mount, has this schematic, which I believe is what was asked for.
Just need to buy the shaft that goes with it and wire it up.
Or, look for Non-surface mount versions of "POT 10K OHM WITH 12 DETENTS SMD"

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

There are a number of pots with detents on this site
http://www.potentiometers.com/alps_rotary.cfm
Do some googling, someone must be a distributor for them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: