Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 644P issue with SERIAL  (Read 815 times)
Kansas City, MO
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been using the sanguino IC (644P) for some time and have no issues with any of the IDE version on either serial port until I tried to utilize the config option.

I can do this: Serial1.begin(1200);

but I can't do this: Serial1.begin(1200, 7E1);

Any ideas on where I need to go and make changes to be able to use the 644P for these serial calls that include the config portion?

Thanks!!

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

Please post a link to the IDE extension you use to be able to compile projects for the ATmega 644p.

BTW: the ATmega644p doesn't have a second USART, so Serial1 isn't available, in my opinion. But it should support the config option for the standard Serial interface object.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

644P does have a 2nd uart.
644 does not.

Serial1.begin(1200, 7E1);  is IDE version specific. Make sure you have a later version that supports that.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

I'm using the 1.0.5 IDE and have the sanguino folders installed in the hardware folder. Everything else is working even serial. It just won't compile with config option

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

Just to be clear....I put (1200, 7E1) in original post.
I'm using: Serial1.begin(1200, SERIAL_7E1) in my sketch.

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

Loaded up my Mega and compiles just fine. Must be some files that has board definitions somewhere and the 644p might need to be added...??

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Is there a boards.txt set of entries for your 644P?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

Boards.txt file from sanguino folder attached. The sanguino folder is in the hardware folder of the Arduino IDE.

* boards.txt (1.9 KB - downloaded 18 times.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Serial.begin & Serial1.begin, neither work for me with 644/644P. Don't know what's going on.

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

The sanguino files I got from here http://sanguino.googlecode.com/files/Sanguino-0101r1.zip provides it's own version of HardwareSerial.cpp and that one doesn't support the config option (seems to be copied from an older IDE). But it seems that the sanguino people didn't change anything in it, so you can just copy the version from the current IDE to the sanguino folder (cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.{cpp,h}) and it should work.

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

Nice catch!

I'll try this and report back when I return to work tomorrow.

Kansas City, MO
View Profile

Compiles just fine now. Thanks for the tip!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: