Go Down

Topic: Your latest scrounge/acquirement (Read 3280 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

a multi-thousand dollar (?) video conferencing camera system

Apparently these are the "cheap" $600 home-video-conferencing cameras.  That's not so bad!

an Intel X3 USB microscope

Those are fun.  We have the "digital blue" version (from when they were commercially available.)  Drivers are still available...

I've got problems...

Every once in a while I contemplate the relative thinness of the line between the inveterate high-tech junk collector and the street people with their shopping cart full of their favorite junk...

cr0sh

Those are fun.  We have the "digital blue" version (from when they were commercially available.)  Drivers are still available...

Yeah - I meant "QX3" and it is the "digital blue"; I got it working on my Ubuntu box fairly easily - found a driver that I compiled to allow me to turn off/on the lights, but the resolution is fairly pitiful (CIF? 352 x 288?). Still, I was able to get some interesting close-ups. I'm thinking about marrying the quickcam to the scope, or using the optics from it with a different cam I have that does 640 x 480. Some future weird project, maybe. It would be nice for circuit board inspection (would beat using a jeweler's loupe or handheld microscope, like I do now).

Every once in a while I contemplate the relative thinness of the line between the inveterate high-tech junk collector and the street people with their shopping cart full of their favorite junk...

LOL. My shop's getting crowded, I need to do a major tear-down of stuff, a goodwill donation run for some other stuff, and parting out other things. Ugh.

I opened up the PC I grabbed when I got home; no hard drive, but the inside was fairly clean (I opened it up outside - I've heard of people finding all sorts of ungodly stuff and bugs inside unknown PCs - I wasn't going to do that inside the house). Turns out what it had was a 486 board of some kind, but the CPU was replaced with some kind of "Evergreen" CPU upgrade (586? Fake Pentium? Dunno yet), and the SIMM slots had a tower expander off one slot filled with RAM, and a Promise multi-port IO card (with IDE ports, floppy drive connectors, and serial/parallel ports on a EISA card). There was also an EISA VGA card, plus a modem card. I'll probably keep the parts and ditch the case (it's a weird non-standard case with an older huge PSU on it). I'm actually glad it had the multi-port card; I need one for a 386 I'm building up (that's going to be a weird one - I have the 386 board, I'm going to stuff it to the gills with as much RAM as it will take, and I have a Cyrix 386-to-486 upgrade CPU as well that might go into it - maybe).

I must be crazy... :smiley-yell:
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

liudr

Hey "crazy" cr0sh, I'm interested in the evergreen. I could trade with you (Phi-1 shield PCB) if you're interested. PM me with a couple pictures of the chip and the board. Thanks.

As for me, I didn't pay but I did grab a few ribbon cables 40-60 pins from a "dump place". Going to do some projects with the cables.

Go Up