Go Down

Topic: Visual Basics 2010 and a Robot named Doug (Read 2779 times) previous topic - next topic

johntheundead

I have been a big fan of arduino ever since i saw it on Instructables. I bought a arduino duemilanove for my first explorations into the PLC. i recently received a robot from Robotshop.com, his name is Doug, he has the same micro-controller the other board i own. As much as i like the arduino programming platform adn i know i can easily write a program to turn his motors on and off with, lets say, a wii nuchuck. I like the idea of using Visual Studio 2010 to control him. i have a bunch of sensors and stuff that it would be cool to see the inputs on a screen, like the level of ambient light or the temperature and display it on a form as an actual value. I do not know where to begin, I've been all over this forum, google, VB Help, and i can't get it to work. I've tried firmata and a sample program that is up in the playground for arduino. I feel if i can figure out how to press a button in VB 2010 and get the LED on Pin 13 to light up i could expand upon this and get the motor to work and get read outs from my sensors. Please help.

John the Undead

PaulS

On this page, http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithSoftware, down near the bottom, is a link to Visual Basic.NET. That would be a good place to start.

johntheundead

That was the first thing i tried and that didn't work at all. i loaded up the standard firmata and tried both VB programs the tutorial had and neither worked.

PaulS

Forget Visual Basic. Branch out a little, and learn some C#. Much easier to get C# to talk to the serial port, and get data back from it. I have a sample application that I could share, if you wanted to go that route.

johntheundead

now i know that i can use C# in VB. see what i'm looking for is to be able to get read outs and have them on the screen in a sort of UI with controls and stuff. So do you mean use C# in VB instead of the VB language or use C# in another program and if so can i still have a UI similar to VB?

PaulS

C# allows you to create Windows forms applications. So, I mean for you to dump Visual Basic altogether, and use C# to build the form and talk to the serial port.

johntheundead

I'm not married to VB 2010 so bring on the sample code! Which environment can i code in C#?

PaulS

Microsoft offers Visual C# Express for a very reasonable price. Free.

johntheundead

so, Paul, how about that sample code? Thanks.

PaulS

I clicked on the e-mail link under your avatar, and sent you an e-mail. It that didn't work, PM me with a valid e-mail address, and I'll send it again.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy