Go Down

Topic: Adafruit FONA Keeps Shutting Down (Read 551 times) previous topic - next topic

stupid-questions

Hi! I have an Adafruit FONA Shield connected to my Arduino Uno (With an antenna and battery, of course) Sometimes, the FONA example sketch works. But I have this problem with the FONA only turning on for short times.

Basically, when I plug the Arduino in the CHARGE LED lights up, as it should. A few seconds later, the green PWR LED turns on. The blue NET LED begins blinking. Every time, the NET LED blinks four times. On the fourth blink, the PWR LED turns off - and the FONA stops responding to all commands.

In the periodic spans of time that the PWR LED is on and the NET is blinking, the FONA works great! But once the PWR LED turns off, the FONA doesn't do anything. I should also point out that the CHARGE LED stays on the entire time.

This has happened many times... what should I do?
No friends, just Arduino.

lastchancename

Oct 15, 2017, 11:35 pm Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 11:37 pm by lastchancename
Sounds like either there is something interfering with operation of the power-control pin of the modem shield, or (unlikely) a power-down command is being sent to the shield.

Have you used the (modem's) power-control pin for some other purpose on the Arduino board?
Then, if you set that 'other' state - the modem thinks you are telling it to turn off... !
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

stupid-questions

Oct 16, 2017, 04:09 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 04:09 am by stupid-questions
Sounds like either there is something interfering with operation of the power-control pin of the modem shield, or (unlikely) a power-down command is being sent to the shield.

Have you used the (modem's) power-control pin for some other purpose on the Arduino board?
Then, if you set that 'other' state - the modem thinks you are telling it to turn off... !
Well, I have nothing connected to the Arduino other than the shield and it's battery.

I don't know if this is important, but here's some details about the pinout of the Shield.

"Reset (RST)- this is module hard reset pin. By default it has a high pull-up (module not in reset). If you absolutely got the module in a bad space, toggle this pin low for 100ms to perform a hard reset. We tie this to Digital #4, and the library does a hard-reset so you always have a fresh setup."

"Pwr - this is the Power Status pin. It is low when the module is off and high when the module has power. If you're using the Key button or pin, you can monitor this pad to see when the module's booted up. This is tied to the Pwr LED too."

"Key - This is the power on/off control for the module. Its also tied to the button in the top left. When this pin is tied to ground for 2 seconds, it turns the module on or off. It's not a level signal so it isn't like "low is off, high is on" - instead you must pulse it for 2 seconds to turn off/on. The module comes by default on (tied to GND) so the module will come up immediately. If by chance you want to control this pin, cut the GND-jumper right below this pad and use with any microcontroller output pin"

This is from the Adafruit website. Is that at all enlightening? Like I said, there's nothing connected to the Arduino other than its shield and battery.

lastchancename

Oct 16, 2017, 07:51 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 07:52 am by lastchancename
Key - This is the power on/off control for the module. Its also tied to the button in the top left
This is the pin/button you need to keep an eye on!
Can you be sure that it is not being switched at any other time after power-up?

Otherwise - if I recall, there are some operating modes (no cell registration, low voltage etc) which time out and shut down after a certain period  -it's been a while!

You'll need to search for the modem references (not the shield) to read about the power modes etc.

This is a good place to start
SIM 5320 hardware design reference

You may also look for other ref docs from SIMCOM
I use the power control modes extensively - without problems
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

TomGeorge

Hi,
What is your battery?
Do you have a DMM to measure some voltages?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

stupid-questions

Oct 17, 2017, 02:21 am Last Edit: Oct 17, 2017, 02:22 am by stupid-questions
Hi,
What is your battery?
Do you have a DMM to measure some voltages?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
This is my battery:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/258

Update: I have noticed that the intervals of working and not working are becoming erratic. Sometimes, the NET LED flashes only twice before shutting off. Sometimes, the system works fine and does not shut off entirely! I just need it to do that, but consistently.

During one of the streaks where the modem worked continuously and without issue, I was able to read that the battery was at 30%. I turned the system off, but the next day, (today) I couldn't get the modem to stay on long enough to READ the percentage!

TKall

You should contact Adafruit customer service.  They will swap your FONA out for a new one if they can't tell you what is wrong.  The FONA absolutely needs the battery.  It will not work without it. And in my experience it needs both the battery and external power supply.  I run them with both with amazingly reliable results.

stupid-questions

You should contact Adafruit customer service.  They will swap your FONA out for a new one if they can't tell you what is wrong.  The FONA absolutely needs the battery.  It will not work without it. And in my experience it needs both the battery and external power supply.  I run them with both with amazingly reliable results.
So you think that my FONA is faulty??? Uh oh... I can't send it back because I already soldered to it!

TKall

I don't know if it is faulty.  If you go to the fona forum you will see that there are instances where after explaining the problem the moderator suggests returning the item for a replacement. 

The fona is very cool but still a work in progress, especially the 3g model.

edorap

I'm reopening this topic because I have the same problem with a Fona MiniGSM. Did you find any solution?

edorap

Hi, I solved the problem.
I used two jumpers to connect the battery at the Fona and there was a huge voltage drop on them.
Connecting the battery with the jst did the trick.

Go Up