North-East England

Well technically it's not a unicycle as it has 3 wheels (originally had two but that design was unstable when the front wheel extends)

It's an interesting idea though the uno - I can see some people buying it for a cool factor more than anything else. As has been said, it's going to be expensive until they sell to the masses and until they are made cheaper, they won't sell to the masses.
I'm more interested in BPGs DVT shredder...

Back onto unicycles, the Segway self balancing unicycle looks more interesting. As a unicyclist, I would be interested to see if you can hop and do tricks on one like you can do on a BC wheel (basically a BMX wheel with two plates stuck on it to stand on - no seat).

Grumpy_Mike:
How about this for a uni cycle

Was the pic from the Gadget Show the other week?

It was called Ryno or something...
http://rynomotors.wordpress.com/

No, the picture is a similar vehicle called the Uno. It is a transforming 3 wheeled motorbike which can self balance on the back wheel (two wheels now due to stability issues when extending the front wheel when there was only one wheel on the back).

That Ryno one looks interesting too.

mowcius:

No, the picture is a similar vehicle called the Uno. It is a transforming 3 wheeled motorbike which can self balance on the back wheel (two wheels now due to stability issues when extending the front wheel when there was only one wheel on the back).

That Ryno one looks interesting too.

Cool, you just need an Arduino set up to play "Transformers, Robots in disguise .." every time you go from two wheels to three or three wheels to two :slight_smile:

play "Transformers, Robots in disguise .."

:smiley:

Hey Everyone, I was at the Maker Faire in Newcastle today, it was awesome :). Just want to say thanks to everyone i met there, even if i didn't spot who you are. A big thanks to Grumpy_Mike who had some really cool stuff. :slight_smile:

Yeap, a great couple of days meeting people and making things.

Next year I think we need to wear badges so we can spot other Arduino forum members :slight_smile:

Next year I think we need to wear badges so we can spot other Arduino forum members

Next year I might get myself organised and actually turn up!

Next year I think we need to wear badges so we can spot other Arduino forum members

How about printing out the icons and waring then as lapel badges.

How about printing out the icons and waring then as lapel badges

But there might be children present!
Think how scary that could be for the poor little dears.

Think how scary that could be for the poor little dears.

XD
You wouldn't call them that after you have seen the behavior of some.

The majority were well behaved, but this year there was a sizable minority who would rapidly and manically try to push every button they could lay their sticky little fingers on. I don't mind curiosity but this happened in such a frenzy that if anything did happen as a result of them pushing a button the significance, and indeed what button they had pushed, was lost. Some were so frantic that they failed to noticed any effect they had on anything. This was mainly a problem on the Sunday.

who would rapidly and manically try to push every button they could lay their sticky little fingers on

We used to joke that there should be four grades of components:

1. Domestic
  2. Industrial
  3. Military
  4. Childrens' science park.

It is no joke.

It is no joke

Amen.

I have been thinking of setting up a (at first online) hackerspace for the north east as i live in Teesside Coughs and there seems to be a gap from Leeds to Newcastle.

I`m in hartlepool and would be up for maybe putting together some kind of hackerspace because i believe their is plenty of people around here that are into modding and hacking but they just have no where to meet. i can setup and host a website at no cost to get us started pm me if anyone is interested.

If you can get there, we have a maker space in Newcastle, see:

http://www.makerspace.org.uk/

We have open sessions every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month from 6.0pm to 8.0pm, then off to the pub :slight_smile:

Great i will try and get up there some time. would it be ok if my son came with me because he is my partner in crime he is only 11 but he is easily controlled with a stick and some Ritalin.

BinaryG:
would it be ok if my son came with me because he is my partner in crime he is only 11 but he is easily controlled with a stick and some Ritalin.

I can't see it being a problem, but I'll check on the Maker Spaces discussion group for you

TonyD:

BinaryG:
would it be ok if my son came with me because he is my partner in crime he is only 11 but he is easily controlled with a stick and some Ritalin.

I can't see it being a problem, but I'll check on the Maker Spaces discussion group for you

Consensus is there's no problem with junior makers (with adult supervision) coming along to the open sessions. The sessions are pretty un-structured so he might want to bring something along to play with in case he fines it all a bit boring :slight_smile: