Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: [Solved] Problems accessing parallel SRAM  (Read 7661 times)
Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a charger for a Motorola phone that has a power output of 5V-500mA: I cut its connector and made a built-by-me adaptor to use with breadboards :-)
It works very well: I've already used it in a replica of the Hackvision miniconsole.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

That sounds like plenty then. The other thing you might consider is 0.1uF caps between the VCC & GND pins of the chips.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

God Member
View Profile

Code:
    shiftIn(load_data, clock_pin, value);

is wrong. It doesn't store the value received anywhere. Strangely, I can't find shiftIn in the reference documentation, but the function definition is

Code:
uint8_t shiftIn(uint8_t dataPin, uint8_t clockPin, uint8_t bitOrder)

so I guess you want value= shiftIn(load_data, clock_pin, LSBFIRST);  (or MSBFIRST)

Debugging with an LED is a good idea. Start off by making sure the right addresses are getting to the RAM.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

@CrossRoads:
I've already put some 0.1 uF cap.s around, on every chip Vcc.

@stimmer:
Is was to find ShiftIn for me too.
If you go into the References/Language, you find "ShiftOut". From it, at the end of its page, you'll find the link to ShiftIn:
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/ShiftIn

Nevermind, I saw that I made a mistake. In fact, your sintax is correct, 'cause "value" must be replaced from bitorder. Thanks, maybe this is the good time!  smiley-lol
I'll try as soon as possible...

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

SUPERB! It works!!!!  smiley-lol smiley-lol smiley-lol smiley-lol

3 days looking at the circuit thinking the worst things.... and it was s stupid function that I miswrote in my code!!!

Thnaks stimmer for having opened my blind eyes  smiley-kitty
Thanks CrossRoads for your suggestions, too, because with your suggestions I made a very much simplier circuit with 4 or 5 pins less than the original.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

I was thinking.... what about an article for the playground? If I'm right, there are no articles about reading/writing from parallel RAM, isn't it?

I think it could be interesting for someone else, don't you?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Glad to help - hadn't looked into your syntax, didn't occur to me there might be something amiss. Nice catch there stimmer.

Playground article - sounds good. There was someone else earlier trying to come up with a dual access SRAM. Haven't heard anything on that one in a while.

Does this look familiar?

* dual_access_memory_ics_pg1.jpg (118.76 KB, 960x626 - viewed 40 times.)

* dual_access_memory_ics_pg2.jpg (67.92 KB, 960x530 - viewed 30 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Yes, it looks veery familiar because.... it was me that asked that smiley-lol smiley-lol
I had drawn my circuit using your old schematic too :-)

You are a force, my friend  smiley-lol smiley-lol
Thanks again for your support and for your patience.

This is the first step. Access to an SRAM with 1 Arduino. Now that I got the Master Degree in Chiponics ( smiley-mr-green ) I can start trying to access to the SRAM using an Arduino and a vanilla Atmega.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Oh, that is too funny! I was looking in the old forum trying to find that thread. I don't think you had any code then.
Nice work - some of you guys are way better than me at putting that stuff in functions. My code tends to look like everything all written out.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

When I made that request I didn't have any code but I didn't have any idea on how chips works too  smiley-mr-green
I learnt about chips thanks to this forum and the datasheets of the chips I bought.

And, I'm sure, it's easy with theachers like you and stimmer  smiley-grin

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: