Go Down

Topic: Stuck Uploading (TX LED just blinks) (Read 5694 times) previous topic - next topic

Feb 01, 2011, 08:27 am Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011, 08:36 am by darkfall13 Reason: 1
I just got my Duemilanove atmega328 and was following the start up guide on the site starting with the blink sketch. But when I try uploading my TX and RX LEDs blink a few times, the #13 pin LED blinks 1 or 2 times, then only the TX blinks indefinitely and the program never strays from "Uploading to I/O Board." I do have the correct board selected and the right port (verified with unplugging tip in guide). Nothing so far on the troubleshooting fixes the problem, especially since I'm not receiving an error, it just never finishes uploading to the device.

I'm not plugged in through a hub and I've followed the guide to the letter.

program: Arduino Alpha 0022

EDIT: I should add I know the bootloader is installed because when I follow this tip all is fine.

Make sure there's a bootloader burned on your Arduino board. To check, connect an LED to pin 13 and reset the board. The LED should blink. If it doesn't, see the Bootloader page for instructions on burning a bootloader to the board.

And this is written when doing a verbose upload

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM3 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\build6283579104717191924.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
        Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM3
        Using Programmer      : stk500v1
        Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

Terry King

Ouch..
There have been some problems with 64B OS's. I think...

Divide and conquer: Try another USB cable, Try Arduino on another computer to try to prove it's OK..

There's a pointer to 64 bit trouble in TRoubleshooting  (looking....) Sorry, I don't see an immediate reference to 64B VISTA...

Let us know what happens...
Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

mellis

Hmm, you definitely have a Duemilanove 328, right?  Not one with a 168 or an Uno?  Just checking.

Are you running any programs that might be accessing the serial port?  Things like PDA sync devices or bluetooth applications or even some firewalls or other security software can cause this sort of problem.

Yup chip reads ATMEGA328P-PU and I just tried doing the upload with absolutely everything shut off except Firefox so I could respond and the Arduino program, still acts the same. And I've tried the the only other USB cable I have and it still does it. I'll try on my lady's laptop when I see her tomorrow, it's Vista but 32bit.

Hmm, you definitely have a Duemilanove 328, right?  Not one with a 168 or an Uno?  Just checking.

Are you running any programs that might be accessing the serial port?  Things like PDA sync devices or bluetooth applications or even some firewalls or other security software can cause this sort of problem.

So I've tried 3 different computers (2x Vista 64bit, 1x Vista 32bit), 2 different cables, and every single board option in the 0022 program with no change in results.  =(

smeezekitty

Try this
Plug in the Arduino
Choose the correct serial port
Open the serial monitor
Connect a wire between pins 0 and 1
Hold down the reset button while you type something in the serial monitor and press send.
Do you see what you typed in the serial monitor?
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Yes I get a quick series of things that look like

Analog values:

and if I hold reset and type darkfall or yes or something they appear under the last "analog values" that were displayed.

Try this
Plug in the Arduino
Choose the correct serial port
Open the serial monitor
Connect a wire between pins 0 and 1
Hold down the reset button while you type something in the serial monitor and press send.
Do you see what you typed in the serial monitor?

smeezekitty

So it appears the FTDI chip is OK.
This is good because it is SUPER hard to change.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Other other things I can try? Everything I've read says a non-responsive unit can have any number of causes. I just don't know what else to try.

Terry King

Dark,
I think you've done a good thorough look at this.  It sounds like the Arduino board / Chip has some fault.

I would try to find someone with a XP machine to just rule out any obscure Vista problems.

Now, THERE's a poetic Microsoft offering:  "Obscure Vista"     8)
Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

Nope that's a no-go, I have XP Pro at work (shh!) and I just tried it here with the same results.

mellis

Hmm, where'd you get the board from?  It sounds like there might be a problem with the bootloader on the 328.

Go Up