Go Down

Topic: Driving a 1.4V 3.8A Vexta? (Read 2036 times) previous topic - next topic

roypardi

Hi - I have a 1.4V 3.8A Vexta  unipolar (4 wire) stepper pulled from some recycled hardware.

It's a nice motor I am wondering how (and if it is worth bothering) to drive it. I usually use H-Bridges (L293 or SN754410NE) but those won't handle that current. Apart from buying a dedicated driver ($$) for this motor is there a cheap way I can drive this?

As an aside - can someone explain what the deal is with low voltage/high current steppers? I've used high voltage/high current motors before but this one seems like an oddball.

Grumpy_Mike

As an aside - can someone explain what the deal is with low voltage/high current steppers? I've used high voltage/high current motors before but this one seems like an oddball.

It's quite usual for a stepping motor. In order to get the maximum speed you drive it with as high a voltage as possible. Then you use a chopping regulated driver to limit the current to the right value. These sorts of drivers are not cheap as you will probbly need one with external FETs.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy