Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] Interesting behavior from Arduino Blog Moderator (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

madsci1016

Feb 02, 2011, 01:59 am Last Edit: Feb 15, 2011, 07:50 pm by David Cuartielles Reason: 1
Maybe I missed it in the rules some where, but is there a rule that all comments on the blog must be 100% Arduino related? That would seem rather closed minded from such an 'open' community. I don't mean for this to come off as a witch hunt, but it's rather unsettling to me.

Personally, I love Arduino, use it often and have written libraries for it, one that has become rather famous for it's use in FireHero.  (Link to the Arduino Blog post).

And recently, I saw an arduino blog post on a project very similar to one I just completed, "WiFi Enabled Whole House Power Meter"

So naturally, I posted a comment on the blog post. Granted, a bit of a shameless plug, but makers and hackers are here to read about projects, so I wanted to post about my project that is identical to the blog post but with a different implementation. Heck, there is even some arduino involved, the LED matrix display is arduino powered.

Sadly, it's STILL "waiting moderation".

Ok, I give Arduino personal the benefit of the doubt. Could be back-logged, or may have been marked as spam and sent to the great beyond.

Then, one day I spot this in my website's visitor tracking.

The day after I posted my comment, the blog 'moderator' did indeed look at it. In fact, they clicked the link in it (from the Wordpress moderator panel) read the page for a few minutes, and even browsed around at 2 other pages before leaving. But DID NOT approve the comment.

Ok, so I have proof my comment was indeed viewed by the Arduino Blog moderator, but was not approved.

Why?

CowJam

At a guess it's because the team were kinda busy with this nice shiney new forum. 

That really is just a guess, I'm not a moderator and I suspect the only time I've read the blog is the time between the old forum closing and this place opening.

madsci1016

At a guess it's because the team were kinda busy with this nice shiney new forum.

I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they spent several minutes browsing around my site from the referral, and viewed 3 pages. So they spent the time, and still didn't approve.

The only thing I can think of is that they got distracted and closed the page before hitting approve.

CowJam

TI hope so.  I can't see the point in purposely ignoring it.

There's loads of plausible reasons though, for example maybe the person who had a nose round the site has mod rights but actually leaves the modding to someone else (I've been slightly amazed how often this happens). Hopefully someone appropriate will answer you.

madsci1016

Feb 02, 2011, 03:25 am Last Edit: Feb 02, 2011, 03:29 am by madsci1016 Reason: 1

TI hope so.  I can't see the point in purposely ignoring it.

Ok, so I know I'm not crazy. Thanks for the validation.

There's loads of plausible reasons though, for example maybe the person who had a nose round the site has mod rights but actually leaves the modding to someone else (I've been slightly amazed how often this happens). Hopefully someone appropriate will answer you.

Agreed.

And To whom it may concern, I apologize in advance for any perceived alarmist tone (mostly in the subject line). I wanted to make sure this attracted the appropriate people's attention to garnish an answer. Because frankly, I don't know who the appropriate people are to give an answer.

mmcp42

Odd you say that
I posted a couple of entries that were not approved for several days, then just blown away
How rude I thought!
Was only asking how the upgrade was going, not starting a war
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Massimo Banzi

hello

I think "Disturbing behavior" is a bit exaggerated don't you think?

The large part of the comments the Arduino blog receives are spam. some are obvious and some are very subtle where the content seems legit, maybe one of the links is relevant and then spam is hidden in another link or in the url associated to the poster.

The moderator also covers another 6 or 7 roles so there might be a delay between the moment you post and the moment the comment appears.

Having said this,  he can decide that  a comment is irrelevant and not publish it or he can simply make a mistake.

Davide has his email published on every post he writes on the blog, you could have simply emailed him instead of declaring to the world that you are a victim of a gross case of injustice.

Let's use the word "Disturbing" for more serious matters.

m

madsci1016

Feb 03, 2011, 02:36 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011, 03:00 pm by madsci1016 Reason: 1
I don't think you read everything before posting this.

I think "Disturbing behavior" is a bit exaggerated don't you think?

Davide has his email published on every post he writes on the blog, you could have simply emailed him instead of declaring to the world that you are a victim of a gross case of injustice.

And To whom it may concern, I apologize in advance for any perceived alarmist tone (mostly in the subject line). I wanted to make sure this attracted the appropriate people's attention to garnish an answer. Because frankly, I don't know who the appropriate people are to give an answer.

So again, I apologized for any perceived tone, and had no idea who to email. Not only had i missed that email address, I still would not have known who's role it was to approve comments. But thank you, I have emailed Davide asking why it has not been approved.

The moderator also covers another 6 or 7 roles so there might be a delay between the moment you post and the moment the comment appears.

Having said this,  he can decide that  a comment is irrelevant and not publish it or he can simply make a mistake.

Ok, it's been 2 weeks. And my tracking shows the comment was 'checked' the day after I posted it.

My comment is not irrelevant, so either it was a mistake, or there is something else going on.

madsci1016

A little more interesting, I now see that several comments have been approved for the same blog entry, but not mine.

Massimo Banzi

It was probably a mistake.

If you want I can solemnly  apologise on behalf of the whole arduino team.

There is no conspiracy behind all of this, take it easy.

Thanks

m

madsci1016

It was probably a mistake.

I agree, and I agreed several posts up as well. I still would have liked an answer to what had happened.

If you want I can solemnly apologise on behalf of the whole arduino team.

No, I just wanted an explanation and/or to get the comment approved. It has not been deleted, and I emailed who you told me to, so hopefully it will be approved now.

There is no conspiracy behind all of this, take it easy.

I'm not creating conspiracies, I posted the facts I had and asked for an answer.

Ok, so I have proof my comment was indeed viewed by the Arduino Blog moderator, but was not approved.

Why?

FWIW I changed the subject of the main post. (Again) sorry it was so offensive, but it did work in getting the appropriate attention instead of this thread falling into obscurity.

madsci1016

And it's been approved. Thanks Davide. Again, sorry for any ill-will.

I'm still wondering why it was viewed for several minutes on the 18th and not approved then, but the world may never know I guess.

Massimo, i would not be against you deleting this thread if you so desired. It served it's purpose, and no longer adds anything to this community

I am not an 'Arduino basher' at all. I write libraries for it, and actively support them. Support comments are reaching 200+ for my Playstation 2 Controller <-> Arduino library.

David Cuartielles

Just to throw some light on this topic,:

Davide might not be the one that saw your comment in the first place but me. I sometimes go in the blog to clean up spam. I do look into the posts that are obvious spam and I erase them, but I do not approve them unless they clearly address one of my blog posts. Please note that some of the blog posts could get up to 50 or 60 comments including pingbacks, twitter messages, spammers, and -of course- the real deal (like your post). If you take into account that some days we produce up to three meaningful blog posts, navigating the comments section of the blog might not be an easy task.

There go my 2cents.

/d

madsci1016

Thanks for the follow-up david. I didn't mean for this to be another 'bad apples' witch hunt, just wanted to know what was going on.

I think if anything this shows it's time to get some more help maintaining the blog and/or other parts of arduino.cc. You guys seem to be overworked.

mowcius

Thanks for the follow-up david. I didn't mean for this to be another 'bad apples' witch hunt, just wanted to know what was going on.

I think if anything this shows it's time to get some more help maintaining the blog and/or other parts of arduino.cc. You guys seem to be overworked.

+1

Go Up