Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How many Gs of force can the various Arduino boards support?  (Read 1188 times)
NH, USA
Exploring the world of micro controllers.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I was not exactly sure where to place this... I did't know where to ask info about the Arduino board specs, so I asked here.  Does anyone happen to know the amount of Gs of force the arduino boards can withstand before breaking? I'm trying to build a self controlled navigation system for a rocket I'm designing as a fun project... and I require a durable and light micro controller.

If no one finds anything... does anyone happen to know of a useful, micro controler like arduino - (maybe with a microSD card reader... and of course can support a lot of Gs...)?

Faraday Member
View Profile

This is anecdotal, not a spec, but my rs232 arduino clone with an Argent Data radioshield attached came in from 5000' (in a 4" fiberglass patriot, J295 motor) on a drogue (main failed to deploy) and hit the ground at over 50MPH.  Everything still works, though I had to straighten a few pins on the radioshield.

-j

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I imagine that anything connected to the arduino will suffer long before any of the on-board chips
it's always the interfaces that go first
shield will pop off
battery will become disconnected
sensors will fly away
etc etc etc

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Similar to what has been said, the arduino will be one of the last things to die smiley-grin

If you're connecting to it then those connections will probably go first, if you're building your own board so there aren't connections like that then I would have thought an awfully large amount of G.
There isn't much that could fail, no moving parts, not even an MEMS devices or anything that might fail.

Might I ask what the application/possible application is?

NH, USA
View Profile

I'm going to try to create a self navigating rocket using gps, and any other stuff if it needs it (accelerometers, altimeter maybe?).  My plan is to have a couple of flaps underneath to move back and forth. + plus sign shape with the motor in the middle...  Hopefully it will be successful smiley... I'm really just experimenting.

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

Quartz Crystals are not known for their super impact resistance.  But heck,  they barely cost anything.

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

I'm going to try to create a self navigating rocket using gps, and any other stuff if it needs it (accelerometers, altimeter maybe?).  My plan is to have a couple of flaps underneath to move back and forth. + plus sign shape with the motor in the middle...  Hopefully it will be successful smiley... I'm really just experimenting.

Depending in your country thats illegal and mr.cop and some federal people will want to talk to you...

NH, USA
View Profile

Hahaha.  I'll make sure to keep it a very very low altitude rocket just in case...  we wouldn't want the feds knocking on my door smiley-razz

I might just have a guidence system make the rocket spin in the air in like a spiral or do some cool spins... instead of making it go to a destination.. that might be a better idea.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: