Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Banguino - Arduino made as a chip  (Read 2303 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have made a new Arduino-compatible module. It is an expanded version of the Uno and compatible with it, plus some extra features to offer.
Banguino is specifically designed for wearable electronics, robots, xcopters and other embedded stuff. It is for a bit more advanced users - those who design their own boards, but still want to use the existing code base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk0Fy_IUBxA
http://dimitech.com/products.php
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:54:53 pm by kiiid » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Wow wow wow, this is some seriously cool stuff! What inspired you into making chip like boards? I'm intrigued. You can easily hand solder the socket to a custom board. Then bang! All the arduino goodies and sd card + more?! This could be the solution to a lot of small projects gone commercial. They worry about their board and you just make these chips for others to mount. Raspberry pi is making a module that will slide into an SODIMM slot but that slot is still hard to hand solder. Yours seems great for some of my projects too. Unfortunately the one I am heavily working on needs to squeeze every dime I spend.

The arduino team should really have a look at this! All they are making right now are complete boards. They can break through if they make something like this smiley-grin

Great price too!

View Profile

Thank you for the good words  smiley
Making embedded boards in standard chip formats is a natural evolutionary process: discrete components -> IC -> embedded modules -> embedded modules as IC
There are many boards currently available in DIP40, DIP64, etc, but they all result in relatively thick final devices simply because they have pins. I have tried to find an acceptable compromise between size and easiness to work with both on factory level or by hand, and that led to the selection of the PLCC68 format. Banguino can be used as a SMT component as well (you can download the Altium library from my website and soon I will try to provide one for Eagle as well). Using it as SMT allows the making of very thin boards - 3-4mm overall thickness, and still built around the great existing Arduino programming platform. That is very important for wearable electronics or robotic stuff. What I am offering is just another option for the users so their designs don't get constrained by size in any dimension.
I hope some people may find it useful when making their projects... smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:58:01 pm by kiiid » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Well, I see lots of custom "Arduino compatible" boards with 328 chips and some with 644, 32U4, but rarely 2560 or other more advanced and larger chips. If Arduino team makes them into PLCC chip format with some peripherals, this would enable the arduino ecosystem to evolve into more complex designs buy more novice PCB designers. Just 2 layer and just free EAGLE license and you are good to go. Exciting. Hope they stop chasing the new board pushers and stop to think how to get all their more recent boards into small production projects for us. For projects that need more memory and pins, I am still using the Arduino MEGA2560 boards. I got 2 clones and the rest are all from Arduino. That is about 100 of them.

View Profile

Everything in its time. This is only my first attempt to join the Arduino community. If people accept the idea, with time I will design more advanced compatible processing modules. I have a few ideas waiting. They all will be pin-compatible and interchangeable so systems designed with older models can be upgraded without any problems.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Just curious, how did you make a PCB that has metal contacts around itself to sit in a PLCC socket?

View Profile

This is a not very well known PCB fabrication option called 'side plating'. Usually PCB factories can do it, but many designers don't know about that.
The rest is just a  properly designed board to strictly follow the PLCC specs.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:26:00 am by kiiid » Logged

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Can you provide a hi-res picture of one of the chips (or board, or board chips, whatever)?

View Profile

These are the pictures I have at the moment. I will try to take more hi-res pics with a better camera and update them soon.

* DTX2-4008C_1.JPG (1297.14 KB, 1686x1686 - viewed 23 times.)

* DTX2-4008C_2.JPG (972.98 KB, 1474x1474 - viewed 10 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: