Go Down

Topic: Half-Byte Computer 'console'-ATMega 328 based 'computer' and gaming console (Read 3518 times) previous topic - next topic

geogray

Hello!
Ever since I discovered that the UNO could support both video out and a PS/2 style keyboard, I was enthralled by the notion of a retro computer/console. So, I set out to roll my own. I found a Tiny Basic-one I am sure you are familiar-written by Mike Field. I took his code, rewrote a big chunk of it and got it to work with the TVOut and PS/2 libraries. Next, I designed my own board, using the 328p, with audio, video and PS/2 support. In addition, I have also included Wii Nunchuck support.  It does not support shields, but all of the I/O pins are broken out. It is a minimal design, so it is easy to put together. I achieved my goal of a 'retro' style computer/game console. It isn't perfect, but it works well and, I think, it is a good, fun little project for a parent to do with a kid who is interested in both electronics and learning to program.

Since the 328 only has 2k of SRAM, and I am using the TVOut for video, there is only one thousand bytes of SRAM available to the Half-Byte Tiny Basic interpreter. That may not sound like a lot, but you'd be amazed at what you can do with that.  Half-Byte Tiny Basic has a full set of graphics statements and functions, sound via the TONE statement, hardware access, Serial I/O support and more. You can read more here-->http://halfbyteblog.wordpress.com/half-byte-console-page/half-byte-tiny-basic-commands-statements-and-functions/
I have made the Tiny Basic available on my blog for anyone to download. It is tailored for my board, but it also works just fine on a UNO, provided you use the standard TVOut pin connections. Go here -->http://halfbyteblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/half-byte-tiny-basic-is-now-available/ to grab your copy.

I currently have several kits available as well as a complete, assembled unit, with a brand new keyboard.  Go here -->http://halfbyteblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/half-byte-console-now-available/ for more.

Finally, I am need of a storage solution for Tiny Basic. Since only a thousand bytes are left for TB program space, I cannot use the SD card library, which requires 512 bytes for a buffer. I don't want this board to have to be tethered to a computer, so I need something simple and very cheap.  Anyone who can offer up a solution will get a free kit and full credit. I cannot currently pay you, in monetary means, anyway, but you will get a kit and full credit at the very least.

pito

Finally, I am need of a storage solution for Tiny Basic. Since only a thousand bytes are left for TB program space, I cannot use the SD card library, which requires 512 bytes for a buffer. I don't want this board to have to be tethered to a computer, so I need something simple and very cheap. 

The simplest and cheapest solution is to redesign the stuff with atmega1284p (or better) and a microsd socket..

geogray

Finally, I am need of a storage solution for Tiny Basic. Since only a thousand bytes are left for TB program space, I cannot use the SD card library, which requires 512 bytes for a buffer. I don't want this board to have to be tethered to a computer, so I need something simple and very cheap. 

The simplest and cheapest solution is to redesign the stuff with atmega1284p (or better) and a microsd socket..

Well, not for me. I have a bunch of these boards made.  Though, my next board may be something like that.
Thanks.

geogray

1967stroker

could you build a daughter board with the sd card and the 1284p chip on it? make it plug onto the place the 328p is.

Isaac96

Do not PM me for help.Only links to topics.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Go Up