Go Down

Topic: NMEA 2000 Shield (Read 195964 times) previous topic - next topic

timolappalainen

It should work.

In picture it has termination resistor on the board. Take care that you have exactly 2 termination resistor on whole N2k bus. Resistors has to be on end of the bus and any drop cable must not exceed 6 m.

maxik

Thank you! But why you are prefare MCP?

timolappalainen

Simply because I have not had any problem with MCP2562. If you check posts others have had some problems with SN65HVD230 and then switched to MCP2562. Maybe they have connected it wrong and burned it or what ever. MCP2562 works with both 5V and 3.3V as far one connects Vio to used IO level. Now I have started to use ISO1050 to isolate device from bus.

maxik

In our shops I found ISO1050. But how I can connect it with MCP? Do I need any more details? I like the idea of isolation.

timolappalainen

Isolation is naturally more complex and requires more parts. Note also that if you make device just for your own and you anyway feed N2k bus from same 12V source as you feed your device, isolation does not make sense. For isolation you should think it then more widely. Certified devices are required to be isolated on  bus side. So if you feed N2k power with isolated PSU, then you could think having isolation on your tranceiver.

Just Google ISO1050 and download datasheets. There is good example. In the example there is isolated DC-DC converter from device side feeding tranceiver. Other way is to have DC-DC converter taking power from N2k bus and feed ISO1050 with that. Then you feed your device from battery with other DC-DC.

Go Up