Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Programming Mini using Uno  (Read 9130 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I've had some experience using Arduino Uno, but now tried to use Mini for the first time, and have gotten stuck.

I planned to use the Uno to program the Mini, so I hooked up 5V, GND, TX, RX and Reset to the Uno (plugging TX->TX and RX->RX, not crossing), and a led to pin 13. The only difference from the setup on the ArduinoMini page was that I did not remove the chip from the Uno.

After trying to upload a sketch, the led blinked, as if it was resetting, but the board failed do work (I tried uploading Blink first). After several more tries, it worked, but then trying to upload a different sketch failed again.

Any ideas? Do I need to remove the chip from Uno for the board to work as a programmer for the Mini?
(It's probably something obvious, and I'll look like a real noob smiley

Thanks in advance.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I did not remove the chip from the Uno

Why not?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Why not?

Mostly because I'm lazy and laso because I was afraid to break it.

But is solved it now. I was sure it was somethign simple, and it was just a classic case of not reading carefully enough. I forgot to reset the board shortly before uploading, as the mini doesn't auto-reset for uploads. Silly me!

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

So, did you remove the 328 chip to make this work???

Thanks...

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I was playing with it a lot last night. Yes, in order to program it easily you need to remove the chip from the Uno. With the chip still in, I think there is some interference from the Uno while the Mini is being programmed, although I can be completely wrong.

Nevertheless it works, and I even managed to get the Mini and Uno working with a VirtualWire link. Hurrah!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

What Rx & Tx modules did you use for Virtual Wire?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: