Go Down

Topic: SMD IR LED to replace RGB LED (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic

akshatgupta

Hello,

Wanted to know if there are SMD IR LEDs which are compatible in footprint and electrical requirements to popular SMD RGB LEDs.

Thanks and Regards,
Akshat

Grumpy_Mike

Well no as an RGB LED has four to six connections and an IR has only two.

And what is a "popular" device anyway? That term does not cut it here.

What do you really want to do?

akshatgupta

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply. By popular, I just meant off-the-shelf SMD LEDs. Please disregard my wrong usage of "RGB", I was just referring to single color LEDs (whichever color they might be).

Actually, I was thinking if I could replace an SMD LED on something like a Ruuvi and re-purpose it as a BLE sensor as well as a transmitter for controlling IR enabled devices such as TV/AC etc.

Thanks and Regards,
Akshat

Grumpy_Mike

By popular, I just meant off-the-shelf SMD LEDs.
Again it doesn't cut it. Their are lots of different off the shelf SMD LEDs. They all have different sizes.

See the different types here http://uk.farnell.com/w/c/optoelectronics-displays/led-products/prl/results?st=SMD+LED

on something like a Ruuvi
What is a Ruuvi? Links are needed if you referrer to anything obscure.

re-purpose it as a BLE sensor
Again what are you talking about? You know but please be aware that not everybody knows every obscure commercial trade name.

akshatgupta

Hello Mike,

Lets replace the ruuvi (https://tag.ruuvi.com/) with "Arduino Primo Core" which offers the same functionality as the ruuvi for my purpose.
The BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) sensor capabilities (temeprature, humidity and Gyro for my purpose) are already present on this device so if I could just replace the LED on the board with an IR LED, I could use it to control IR appliances. it can also be done through the PWM pins and an added IR LED but I just wanted to keep the same form factor and not add anything that changes the profile of the board much.
This could fit in a simple housing and be used at multiple places in the house.

Thanks and Regards,
Akshat

Grumpy_Mike

Nov 11, 2017, 06:53 pm Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 06:54 pm by Grumpy_Mike
OK thanks for the explanation, it is much clearer to me now.
Yes their are IR LEDs in many form factors so getting a direct replacement is not going to be hard.

However I do foresee some potential problems.
First off the amount of brightness you need in a IR emitter sending to a receiver compared with visible light that you look at is much greater. This might involve changing the current limiting resistor and you will also need to confirm that the LED's driver is up to supplying the extra current, as well as the impact on the battery life. As the forward voltage drop of an IR LED is lower than that of a visible LED you are going to get more current anyway.

The next problem is that of controlling the flashing rate, normally IR data is modulated at 38KH ( but can be between 32 to 42 KHz ), however on top of that you have the signal which consists of a number of pulses of this modulated signal. This is not the same as PWM and I don't think you can do it with PWM as that essentially is a free running autonomous system and you need to control every pulse of the LED precisely.

Hope that helps.  

Go Up