Go Down

Topic: 64 yr old newby would like some help (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

oqibidipo

I got my first computer in 1974 - apple I  or II.  You gotta realize that that small computer was a big deal back then.
A HUGE deal considering Apple I was introduced in 1976.

Paul_KD7HB

Volunteers here help others when they run into problems.

64 is not that old.

Thank you. I agree! MY 78th birthday was a couple of days ago!
Paul

RayJorgensen

Sorry about  the 74 - it was the early 70s

larryd

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

RayJorgensen

I have decided to go with the mega. 

I was at my sons today helping with wiring, etc on the last room of his total remodel gut job. As my son was in the attic I was telling his wife about the green house controller. She asked " can we all get this data from our phones?" I'm sure it's possible and if they want it I will attempt to make it happen - just later down the road.

That's why the mega.  I have been down this road before.  As soon as I learn the capabilities I want more.  I'm going to start with a platform that gives room to grow.

terryking228

Nov 20, 2017, 01:25 am Last Edit: Nov 20, 2017, 01:30 am by terryking228
Hi Ray,

" can we all get this data from our phones?" I'm sure it's possible and if they want it I will attempt to make it happen - just later down the road.
It's easy these days...  Just add a small module with an Ethernet interface.  

See THIS PAGE for an example. I used this to monitor our Vermont log cabin while I travelled in the South of USA for 4 weeks.  Just back.  I turned the furnace up from the 50F it was holding, about 10 hours before we got home.  Then we fired up the wood stove when we got home..

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

RayJorgensen

I figured it was possible.  I find it amazing what can be done with this.

I live in north central Iowa.  A major agricultural  factor is hog  barns.  They are all connected so that power failure, etc - there is an alarm sent out.  I don't know how it works but I can find out from these folks - I know most of them.

I'm figuring that at tops I could have $50,000.00 US growing. - I will be adding this alarm system. Another reason for the mega.

There is no way way that I can express my thanks to your folks.  Without you I'm sure i would never get this done.

dave-in-nj

Terry,  Very nice !
how do you set the 12 bit resolution on the DS18x20 when you use getTempFByIndex ?

dave-in-nj

I am working on something similar.  I like distributed controls
the idea is a box that has water valves, soil monitors and an RF output to tell the world what is going on.
the MEGA has a lot of inputs, so that makes it very nice for the central processor bits.
My goal is to have a garden sensor in the back with the veggies and a garden sensor in the front from the flowers and one inside where my wife likes her indoor plants to have some extra sun.

RayJorgensen

Terry, I followed your link for the remote monitoring. 

I'm a little skeptical when the first thing that is presented is "get started".  No description, not cost, no option to see how to set it up, and probably more.

Are you sure this is good to go?

RayJorgensen

I don't want to control the green house from my phone.  I'd just like to see the data , real time, in a graph form.

terryking228

Hi Ray,
I'm a little skeptical when the first thing that is presented is "get started".  No description, not cost, no option to see how to set it up, and probably more.
It is free for non-commercial use.  I talked to the developer and their hope for profit is from large accounts and large systems. 

It is unusual from the perspective of usual development.  Install their library, make an account, pick a sensor type or two, and they build the code you download. You drag-drop the sensors or actuators to the online screen. 

Other:
how do you set the 12 bit resolution on the DS18x20 when you use getTempFByIndex ?
Dave, I don't know how to do that using the index approach. I did a version where I figured out how to use multiple DS18B20's with known addresses. Let me look... OK.. I'll try to show the code.. If I can remember where I put it At My Age  :-)

Code: [Select]
/* YourDuino Example: Cayenne Internet Of Things Version 1.01
 - WHAT IT DOES  Connects to the Cayenne IOT service at https://cayenne.mydevices.com
 - See Example Cayenne Dashboard HERE: 
 - Displays temperature from DS18B20 sensor, digital input 6
 - Allows control of LED on digital put 2
 - SEE the comments after "//" on each line below
 - CONNECTIONS:
   - DS18B20 with 4.7K Pullup resistor to pin 4
   - LED with resistor for testing outputs to pin 2
   - Digital switch on pin 6

- V1.01 02/15/2017
   Questions: terry@yourduino.com */

/*-----( Declare Variables )-----*/
// NONE global

#define CAYENNE_PRINT Serial  // Comment this out to disable prints and save space

/*-----( Import needed libraries )-----*/
// Install the OneWire library (http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_OneWire.html) from the Arduino Library Manager.
#include <OneWire.h>

// Install the DallasTemperature library (http://milesburton.com/Main_Page?title=Dallas_Temperature_Control_Library#Code.2FLibrary)
// from the Arduino Library Manager.
#include <DallasTemperature.h>

#include <CayenneEthernet.h>  // Assumes W5100 based Ethernet Interface

/*-----( Declare Constants and Pin Numbers )-----*/
// Virtual Pin of the DS18B20 widget.
#define VIRTUAL_PIN V1    // Virtual Pin of the DS18B20 widget. This is NOT related to the Arduino pin used.

// Digital pin the 1-wire bus and DS18B20 is connected to.
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS_PIN 4  // Define the 1-wire bus. Used for DS18B20 sensor

//****( These pins are used for digital input/output function but are really defined in the Cayenne Dashboard)
#define RED_LED_PIN 2 
#define DIGITAL_INPUT_PIN 6

/*-----( Declare objects )-----*/
OneWire oneWire( ONE_WIRE_BUS_PIN);   // Create the 1-wire bus
DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);  // Create the sensors object (can be used with more than one DS18B20 sensor)

DeviceAddress DS18B20_1 = { 0x28, 0x74, 0x9F, 0x2B, 0x07, 0x00, 0x00, 0x1C}; // Must be found ahead of time with utility sketch.

// Cayenne authentication token. This must be obtained from the Cayenne Dashboard.
char token[] = "hz9kzo81pa";

void setup()   /****** SETUP: RUNS ONCE ******/
{
  Serial.begin(9600);     // So we can watch the system start up with Serial Monitor
  Cayenne.begin(token);   // Start the Cayenne Library running
  sensors.begin();        // Start the DallasTemperature Library running
  sensors.setResolution(DS18B20_1, 10); 
}//--(end setup )---

void loop()   /****** LOOP: RUNS CONSTANTLY ******/
{
  Cayenne.run();  // Everything happens within the Cayenne library
}//--(end main loop )---

// This function is called when the Cayenne widget requests data for the Virtual Pin.
CAYENNE_OUT(VIRTUAL_PIN)
{
  // Send the command to get temperatures.
  sensors.requestTemperatures();

float tempF = sensors.getTempF(DS18B20_1); 

// To send the temperature in Fahrenheit use the code below.
  Cayenne.fahrenheitWrite(VIRTUAL_PIN, tempF);
}

OK, I think that's readable.. 

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

lineman2208

This sounds like a spectacular project. Something I wish to accomplish some day. Hopefully I have lots of days to do it in, 23yr old. For switching voltages I strongly recommend SSR (Solid State Relay), they have no coils, no moving parts, and trigger, mostly, by low ampers. Depending on what you get you can switch 5v a.c./dc. Or over 300v a.c./dc. If you have full spectrum led lights for the project already on a strip you need to switch 110vac. A thermistor is a resistor that changes resistance depending on temperature. And they are very rugged units. They aren't as precise though.

ChrisTenone

...  No description, not cost, no option to see how to set it up, and probably more.

Are you sure this is good to go?

Welcome to the world of Arduino!
Wubba lubba dub dub!

wildbill

I have decided to go with the mega. 

I'd suggest you do some learning on one of the cheaper Arduino models though. I've bricked one Arduino through my own carelessness and wouldn't you know it, it was my only Mega. You can write sketches that let you experiment with your sensors on less expensive hardware that will translate directly to a Mega.

Once you get into it too, I'll be surprised if other projects don't arise to consume that initial hardware.

Go Up