Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Serial output over USB when not using Arduino IDE  (Read 1253 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I have set my arduino up to monitor voltage/current/power factor at home. Currently, I can view the data through the serial monitor tool that comes as part of the Arduino IDE.

Ideally I would like to be able to be able to monitor this data from any serial terminal - since the Arduino FTDI chip is detected as a usb<>serial device on most OS. However, my attempts to view the data from other terminal programs has failed. Although I can open the com port, I see no incoming data.

Is there some command that must be issued to the arduino before serial output over the FTDI interface begins?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Is there some command that must be issued to the arduino before serial output over the FTDI interface begins?

Nothing has to be done in the arduino program. Just make sure your terminal program is proper set up for the correct comm port, matching baud rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bits, no parity, no handshake, etc. I use brey terminal on my windows machine and it works well with standard arduino usb serial.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Nope - just need to make sure you have the baud rates correct, transmission set to 8N1, and character type set to something that will show your data - if you are trying to view it ascii data for example, there are many unprintable characters. If you are viewing raw binary data, that is something else.
When I was doing my initial testing,  I used a program called RS-232 Moniter from EVMSoft.com. I had a datastream that ultimately needed an inverter going into the arduno RX port - the data I was seeing on screen had too many Es & Fs, you couldn't see this on the IDE monitor, but you could see it on RS232 Monitor. $9.75 to download I think, but is a good debugging tool.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

If you can view the data on the serial monitor you can view it with a terminal program, have a look in the IDE to see what COM port is used and use the same with the terminal prog.

Also check that the data rate, stop bits etc are the same as your Arduino is set to, and maybe your terminal program has flow control enabled, this will stop it from receiving data.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Cheers - I now have everything working - after a fashion:

It seems that once I have loaded up the arduino IDE and clicked "serial monitor" I can then close the IDE and fire up any serial terminal I like to monitor the arduino output.

However, once the arduino is restarted, I again need to load up the IDE and ask for the monitor to get the flow going.

Any thoughts?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Scratch my last posting - all now seems ok after all. I'd like to say I found the problem, but I didn't - other than that it is now working. It may have been something as embarrassing as a loose connection :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Scratch my last posting - all now seems ok after all. I'd like to say I found the problem, but I didn't - other than that it is now working. It may have been something as embarrassing as a loose connection :-)

Cheers,

Ben

No problem mate, we call them 'brain farts' and everyone is allowed their fair share of them.  smiley-grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: