Go Down

Topic: Replacing data table (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

YoungsterSP

I have asked a question like this before on the forum but I haven't really figured out an answer, because my other thread ended up at a dead end. I want to create a table of data that was sent from the Arduino's Sensors on my PC. The New Data coming in should be able to replace other data on the table and it should be a mathematic table(not a dining room glass pane that you eat on.) I am just having trouble trying to figure out what program to use to display this kind of table. I had the answer of processing, but that is all I got. I looked processing up and what I found is another serial monitor and I couldn't figure out a way to display a table on there. I also got the answer of Excel, but when you do that the data doesn't replace itself. So for example if you had temperature sensor and you programed it to serial print the temperature, it would say 10 degrees and when the temperature changed there would be a whole other row that say that the temperature changed to 10.25 degrees. I want a program that can delete the old 10 degrees statement and replace it with 10.25.

aarg

Is this an Arduino question or a PC question?
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

6v6gt

Is it your vision to see on you PC desktop a small window with the current temperature (originating from your Arduino) displayed in it, maybe in nice bold numbers with a colored background etc?

Do you want this temperature display to work even if the Arduino is not connected to the PC by cable, ie it is connected over wlan or Bluetooth etc?

Would it be enough if the temperature is displayed in a web browser (internet explorer etc.) or are you wanting to develop a custom application on you PC which would read this data somehow and format it nicely.

Robin2

@YoungsterSP, can you make a rough drawing (pencil and paper is fine)  of what you want your displayed table to look like and post a photo of the drawing.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

YoungsterSP

Is it your vision to see on you PC desktop a small window with the current temperature (originating from your Arduino) displayed in it, maybe in nice bold numbers with a colored background etc?

Do you want this temperature display to work even if the Arduino is not connected to the PC by cable, ie it is connected over wlan or Bluetooth etc?

Would it be enough if the temperature is displayed in a web browser (internet explorer etc.) or are you wanting to develop a custom application on you PC which would read this data somehow and format it nicely.
The arduino would be connected to the computer at all times. It is ok if it is in a web browser and yes my vision is to see the temperature in a small window.

PaulS

If you write your own code to receive the data that the Arduino sends to the serial port, you'd have complete control over the look and feel of the application.

Visual Studio and C# allow you to build windows applications that can connect to, and easily read from (and write to) the serial port. There are plenty of other language/development platform options. The playground has pages and pages of advice on connecting applications written in many languages to the serial port.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

YoungsterSP

In visual studio would I go about it by creating an arduino project with visual micro or just another application?

gdsports

I looked processing up and what I found is another serial monitor and I couldn't figure out a way to display a table on there.
Processing can do much more than be another serial monitor.

https://www.hackster.io/sowmith/visualising-sensor-data-using-arduino-and-processing-e707f0

To create dashboards (sliders, knobs, charts, gauges,etc.) in Processing see the ControlP5 library.

YoungsterSP

Yes, I understand that now, but I really am just looking for a table or a different way to organize serial data. If you can show me a way on how to do that then I'll be pleased. From what I have found, no one has done it before and no one knows how to do it.

Robin2

Yes, I understand that now, but I really am just looking for a table or a different way to organize serial data. If you can show me a way on how to do that then I'll be pleased. From what I have found, no one has done it before and no one knows how to do it.
You have not responded to Reply #3

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

YoungsterSP

Dec 02, 2017, 05:36 pm Last Edit: Dec 02, 2017, 05:41 pm by YoungsterSP
There is is the table that I want it to look like attached

Robin2

Image from Reply #10 so we don't have to download it. See this  Image Guide

...R

Robin2

Any of visual programming systems on a Windows PC or the Processing language will allow you to create a display like that and up date the data in the boxes when new values are received from the Arduino.

You could also create the same display in a browser. But if you are new to programming that would probably be more difficult.

However, this is not the Forum for learning how to program a PC.

...R

Go Up