Go Down

Topic: Soldering in a Toast R Oven (Read 3182 times) previous topic - next topic

skyjumper

Hi All...

I ran accross someone who uses a Toast R Oven as a wave solderer. I have a few surface mount chips I need to solder to break out boards and the pins are small. My wife has a toaster oven. Can I put some solder paste on the board pads, put the board in an oven and turn it on? Would this work?

Thanks...

weirdo557

i think most smd chips have specific soldering instructions, check the data sheets. if i recall you have to keep the temperature fairly steady and possibly ramp it up or down over a period of time.

James C4S

There are quite a few tutorials on the web about how to use a toaster oven or hot plate for reflow soldering. Creating the proper ramp or temperature profile is going to be difficult without control of the heating elements.

Once you put solder through the oven, you should never use it for food again.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

cr0sh

Once you put solder through the oven, you should never use it for food again.

I just want to make this point very, very clear; lead poisoning is not a fun thing, people...

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

pwillard

As a former Wave Solder operator... I would like to make clear that a toaster and a Wave Solder machine have little in common other than varying degrees of heat.  What you are discussing is a Solder Re-Flow Oven.

Solder Wave method  is a flowing fountain of molten solder...

Go Up