Go Down

Topic: Arduino Quadcopter (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic

Tinito16

Hi,

I must start by saying I am a total beginner at this, microcontroller projects, and I am trying to take it all in as fast as possible. I have a class project which involves making an automatically stabilizing quadcopter. Now my question is, what board would be best for this kind of project? I'm going to have a wireless video camera, a gyro, an accelerometer and an altimeter on the little UAV, plus MAYBE a couple of proximity sensors, depending on how much everything weighs.

I've looked preliminarily at aeroquadstore.com and have been looking at the AeroQuad Shield 2.0 with the Arduino Mega 2560, ITG 3200 triple axis gyro and the BMA 180 triple axis accelerometer as filling my needs, but I would appreciate input from people who have experience with Arduino and DIY projects.

Thanks in advance!

zoomkat

Search the old forum below for quadcopter for previous discussions on the subject.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

retrolefty

I would appreciate input from people who have experience with Arduino and DIY projects.

Well my input would be that you have selected a most difficult project for someone with no prior experience with microcontrollers. I would think you would be much better off starting with a few less ambitious projects while you learn and gain experience.

But good luck either way.

Lefty

Binette228

Hi,

Yeah it is a very ambitious project and it will cost as much!
But remember that the Arduino cannot process video...

But anyway, you should go look here: www.diydrones.com/
A lot of people there did what you want to do.

I wish you luck and wish you'll realise this!
(Don't forget to post here what you made if you do it!)  :)

david97

I think it depends on how many out/inputs you would need as the smaller boards dont have many out/inputs. I would start designing your quadcopter first and then once you have figured out how many outputs and inputs you need buy the board that is the lightest weight but still has enough out/inputs and memory for your code. This page lists all the boards avaible or if none of them suit you could try buying a FTDI cable, the main chip you have decided on, a 16MHZ resonator, a 5V regulator, and build one yourself. There are plenty of tutorails online.

links.
Arduino boards

Good luck with your project, David.

Go Up