Go Down

Topic: Using an arduino to burn a bootloader onto a atmega168 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CristobalGordo

I'm following the instructions here http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard to a tee but I'm getting the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15
I see a lot of people have similar problems with this but I haven't run acrossed any solutions that don't involve a completely different method (like bitbang.)  Does the method in the above tutorial work?  Does this error look familiar?

Barring an easy solution to the above problem....While I ultimately will use this 168 on a breadboard, I do have two arduinos (a duemilanove and an uno) so I think I can burn the bootloader and program it initially using the two arduinos.  However I see that there is a problem using an Uno for this- something to do with the optibootloader and a corresponding solution which I don't understand (optifix.)  Ok so I have a duemilanove and an uno both fuctioning with 328s and bootloaders.  I also have a fresh 168 without a bootloader.  Presumably I want to take out one of the 328s, plug in my fresh 168, and use the other arduino to burn a bootloader.  Is one way easier than the other (i.e. does one way-duemilanove to uno or uno to duemilanove avoid the problems with the optibootloader)?  Big thanks for any help.

Coding Badly

CristobalGordo

no I have not.  I'll look into how to do that.  Try it and see what happens.

CristobalGordo

Wait at what stage do I disable the autoreset?  After I upload the arduinoisp sketch and before I hook up the target chip and burn the bootloader?

CristobalGordo

IT WORKED!  Thanks!  (So far)  I unplugged the arduino, put a 120 ohm resistor between 5v and reset, and burned the bootloader and it seems to have competed the burn without problems.  Now I need to test it out, but I definitely got further than I did before.  Big thanks again.

Crook

I was having similar problems but disabling auto reset solved it. I snipped a pin of a DIL socket and put the 328 in that, then the socket in my Duemilanove, worked fine burning the bootloader onto a blank 328. I'll never need to buy a bootloaded chip again - they are much more expensive!
3D Artist,Modeler, Texturer, Animator, Electronics and Robotics, Programming C, VB, Website Design, Flash animator

Too many hobbies?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy