Go Down

Topic: ARDUINO 0022 and Ubuntu 10.10 - serial (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

pythoncoder

Thanks for that, although flashing the firmware does sound a little hairy. Like everyone else I had problems with serial output but the major problems I am experiencing are independent of the sketches I'm trying to run. The interface locks up or misbehaves and prevents me from uploading even the simplest demo sketch. This behaviour seems to appear and disappear entirely unpredictably.

Did you experience this behaviour and, if so, did the firmware flash fix it? If so I might be tempted to take the risk!

Regards, Pete
Regards, Pete

pluggy

I thought the same having killed pieces of kit in the past through a firmware update that wasn't quite right. 

If you program the arduino with a sketch that uses serial its difficult verging on impossible to get the board to accept new programming.  Its like the serial takes over and the programmer can't get a word in edgeways.  Its a while since I flashed mine, so I can't remember the errors etc it came up with, but I do remember it was a real pain in the neck.  The reflashing procedure went without a hitch for me, and it completely transformed the board.  I've since updated the bootloader on the Uno as well, and it cured different problems with a large sketch I run. But one thing at once.  If you read through the thread I posted, the author of the 8U2 firmware assures readers that the flash procedure is safe and you can't do any damage if it fails. (post 38). You do need to be careful you download the actual code and not just a Javascript link which is quite easy to do but harmless if you do try to flash the chip with it.

stimmer

Yes, the firmware update procedure is much safer than I originally thought. It isn't like updating a mobile phone or a BIOS, where if it goes wrong you are stuck. Instead, the 8u2 works in a similar way to the 328. If it doesn't upload right the first time, you can just try again until it does - the code for doing the firmware update is in a protected bootloader area of memory and the firmware update process can't touch it.

I must have reflashed the firmware on mine hundreds of times by now, trying out alternative USB functions. It still works  :)

pythoncoder

Thanks guys - I plucked up the courage to flash the firmware and it does seem to have fixed the problems. Too early to say for sure as some of the problems were highly intermittent, but it's looking good so far!  :)

Regards, Pete
Regards, Pete

Go Up