Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wicking - Fast or Clean?  (Read 1126 times)
Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm shopping for solder wick.  The wick is coated with one of two kinds of flux.  The flux provides either the "fastest wicking action" or the "cleanest wick -- clear, non-reactive residues".  I've never used wick so I have no idea which is more important (or if it even matters that much). 

I'm going to try my hand at SMD soldering so I'll be using the wick to remove (lots of smiley-grin) solder bridges.  I think "fast" would be best in that case.

Opinions?

bluesmokelabs.com
View Profile

Go with either, I've never noticed a difference.  Plus you will probably end up putting your own flux on it.  Buy a flux pen at the same time, it works wonders!

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Personally, if there is a difference I'd rather go with fast. 

Any product that is "no-clean" falls into the same category as hand sanitizer.  Sure it may kill everything, but then you just have a bunch of dead germs on your hands.

In other words, I still clean my boards when I use stuff with "no-clean" flux in it.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Georgia, US
Arduino makes my head hurt :(
View Profile

Any product that is "no-clean" falls into the same category as hand sanitizer.  Sure it may kill everything, but then you just have a bunch of dead germs on your hands.

I didn't want to know that

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Go with thinner (narrower?) too, heats up faster to melt the solder quicker.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Nowhere
God Member
|-\ |\|\
View Profile

Definitely use your own flux, though, as said earlier. 

I successfully soldered my first SMD board (SF simon) a month ago (new soldering iron for christmas) and had hardly any luck with the wick until applying flux to it.

Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/beefinator14
Old soundcloud page (ran out o

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Thanks!  Just the sort of advice I was hoping to get!

The stuff I'm looking at comes in # sizes: #1, #2, #3, etcetera.  The #1 size is the thinnest / narrowest.  How are your's measured?  Also # sizes?  In millimeters?  Inches?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Don't know, can't find it at the moment. Is fairly wide tho, not that good for surface mount.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Found it - MG Chemicals, 0.075", fine braid, static free. Cat # 443
No mention of flux.
Guess its not as wide as I thought it was.
Haven't tried using it with flux added. Usually I use a solder sucker to get most solder off, little cleanup with wick if needed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:38:48 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

bluesmokelabs.com
View Profile

The 2.5mm is the ideal size, 1.5 tends to fill up with solder faster than you can move it and 3.5(I think thats next size up) takes too long to heat and you end up burning flux on the board.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

So what does flux do in a wick? Does flux reduce the melting temperature of solder? I never understood the use of flux.

bluesmokelabs.com
View Profile

It cleans the metal of oxides that occur under heating and allows the solder to flow alot better.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

...in addition, the manufacturer of the "no clean" wick I found claims their flux cleans old flux.  I assume that requires some combination of: chemically altering the old flux, floating the old flux to the solder surface, trapping the old flux.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I went with PROWICK #4 from TECHSPRAY (fast).  I'll report back after I've used it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: