Go Down

Topic: Stranger Things Message Wall (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hintonpa

Dec 06, 2017, 04:33 am Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017, 04:56 am by hintonpa
Hey there everyone,

For anyone that are fans of the show, you have probably see this project online already, or something similar.  The difference between my project and the others, is that I'm trying to scale it down for a gingerbread house.  I have it working mostly the way I want it, but I wanted to be able to send the serial text via bluetooth from my phone.  Currently, I am only able to get the results I want through Putty or the serial monitor.  Here's what I have so far:

WS2811 Individually Programmable LED's (cut down to 26 total)
Arduino UNO
HM-10 Bluetooth Module (needed for iPhone)  

This is my first project with the Arduino, so I'm not too savvy with the programming language...but I'm learning.  If anyone has any ideas on where this code is wrong, please let me know.  The original code was written by Zach Hipps, I just modified it for my needs:

Code: [Select]
/*
 * Stranger Things Message Wall
 * Written by Zach Hipps 2017 for byte sized YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/bytesized
 * Build instructions can be found at https://www.bytesizedelectronics.com/projects/how-to-make-a-stranger-things-message-wall
 * Video can be found at https://youtu.be/tG8sQMoKrb0
 * How to use:
 * -----------
 * Connect string of WS2811 LEDs (or equivient) to the arduino with the data signal going to pin 3.
 * Be sure to use a separate power supply as the arduino's voltage regulator cannot supply enough current for all these LEDs.
 * Send serial data to the program either using the serial monitor, or some external serial device (like HC-05 bluetooth module) connected to RX and TX pins.
 * Known issues:
 * ------------
 * Due to strict timing requirments from the WS2811 LEDs, the FastLED library has to disable interrupts when writing to the LEDs. This will cause some serial data to be lost.
 * The practical result is that messages longer than 6 characters seem to get truncated. Some sort of software buffering could potentially fix this. See https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/wiki/Interrupt-problems
 */

#include "FastLED.h" // This is the library that does all the work with the LEDs

#define NUM_LEDS 26 // The number of LEDs in the string
#define DATA_PIN 3 // The pin that connects to the data signal on the LEDs

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS]; // Define array with NUM_LEDS elements
CRGB led_color[NUM_LEDS]= // Define array to store LED colors
{
  led_color[0] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
  led_color[1] = CRGB (0,100,0), //GREEN
  led_color[2] = CRGB (0,0,100), //BLUE
  led_color[3] = CRGB (100,100,0), //YELLOW
  led_color[4] = CRGB (100,100,100), //WHITE
  led_color[5] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
  led_color[6] = CRGB (0,100,0), //GREEN
  led_color[7] = CRGB (0,0,100), //BLUE
  led_color[8] = CRGB (100,100,0), //YELLOW
  led_color[9] = CRGB (100,100,100), //WHITE
  led_color[10] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
  led_color[11] = CRGB (0,100,0), //GREEN
  led_color[12] = CRGB (0,0,100), //BLUE
  led_color[13] = CRGB (100,100,0), //YELLOW
  led_color[14] = CRGB (100,100,100), //WHITE
  led_color[15] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
  led_color[16] = CRGB (0,100,0), //GREEN
  led_color[17] = CRGB (0,0,100), //BLUE
  led_color[18] = CRGB (100,100,0), //YELLOW
  led_color[19] = CRGB (100,100,100), //WHITE
  led_color[20] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
  led_color[21] = CRGB (0,100,0), //GREEN
  led_color[22] = CRGB (0,0,100), //BLUE
  led_color[23] = CRGB (100,100,0), //YELLOW
  led_color[24] = CRGB (100,100,100), //WHITE
  led_color[25] = CRGB (100,0,0), //RED
};

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(2000000); // start serial peripheral
  FastLED.addLeds<WS2811, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS); // instantiate LED library with our information
  FastLED.clear(); // clear the LED display before doing anything else
}

void loop()
{
  if(Serial.available()) // If there is serial data waiting in the buffer
  {
    ascii2ledIndex(Serial.read()); // read the data and convert each letter from ascii to the appropriate LED index in the string
  }
}

// Convert a letter from ascii to the appropriate LED index in the string
void ascii2ledIndex(int asciiLetter)
{
    //Serial.println(asciiLetter);
    int ledIndex = 0; // create variable to store led index
    int indexMap[]={25, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0}; // When I hung the LED string on the wall the first letters in the string are R S T U V W X Y Z then it skips one LED and winds around to  Q P O N M L K J I then it skips one LED and winds to A B C D E F G H
    if(asciiLetter >= 97 && asciiLetter <= 122) // It's an ASCII Lowercase Letter
    {
      ledIndex = indexMap[asciiLetter - 97];
    }
    else if (asciiLetter >= 65 && asciiLetter <= 90) // It's an ASCII Uppercase Letter
    {
      ledIndex = indexMap[asciiLetter - 65];
    }
    Serial.println(ledIndex);
    if(ledIndex >= 0) // valid LED index converted from either uppercase or lowercase letter
    {
      leds[ledIndex] = led_color[ledIndex];
      FastLED.show();
      delay(500);
      FastLED.clear();
      FastLED.show();
      delay(250);
    }
    else // invalid led index. display blank. this is useful for spaces and other punctuation.
    {
      FastLED.clear();
      FastLED.show();
      delay(750);
    }

}

// Test function that displays one LED at a time. This appears like the LED is chasing down the string.
void chase()
{
  for(int dot = 0; dot < NUM_LEDS; dot++)
  {
      leds[dot] = led_color[dot];
      FastLED.show();
      // clear this led for the next time around the loop
      leds[dot] = CRGB::Black;
      delay(100);
  }
}

// Test function that blinks all the LEDs
void RGB_Blink()
{
  // Set all the colors
  leds[25] = led_color[0];
  leds[24] = led_color[1];
  leds[23] = led_color[2];
  leds[22] = led_color[3];
  leds[21] = led_color[4];
  leds[20] = led_color[5];
  leds[19] = led_color[6];
  leds[18] = led_color[7];
  leds[9] = led_color[8];
  leds[10] = led_color[9];
  leds[11] = led_color[10];
  leds[12] = led_color[11];
  leds[13] = led_color[12];
  leds[14] = led_color[13];
  leds[15] = led_color[14];
  leds[16] = led_color[15];
  leds[17] = led_color[16];
  leds[8] = led_color[17];
  leds[7] = led_color[18];
  leds[6] = led_color[19];
  leds[5] = led_color[20];
  leds[4] = led_color[21];
  leds[3] = led_color[22];
  leds[2] = led_color[23];
  leds[1] = led_color[24];
  leds[0] = led_color[25];  
  FastLED.show();
  delay(750);
  // Now turn the LED off, then pause
  FastLED.clear();
  FastLED.show();
  delay(500);
}

PaulRB

Well done for using code tags.

This is how you post images:

hintonpa

hintonpa

Qdeathstar

After the first season there were several questions about how to do it,  but your a year late.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Grumpy_Mike

No takers?
My take on it is that you appear to have wired the LEDs up as a serpentine raster but your software does not compensate for this. But you say it works from the serial monitor so I am not sure if this is your real problem. The code is written in a bit of a turgid way, using lots of instructions where a simple loop would do.

hintonpa

After the first season there were several questions about how to do it,  but your a year late.
If "you're" going to troll people, try using proper grammar.  This type of reply does nothing but put a bad taste in someone's mouth about the support a person can get from this forum.  I have stated that I am new to this, and this is my first Arduino project.  The fact that people have been doing this for more than a year has no bearing here, except that there should be a good knowledge base on the subject.  So, if you don't have anything positive to add, then just don't say anything.  Thank you.

My take on it is that you appear to have wired the LEDs up as a serpentine raster but your software does not compensate for this. But you say it works from the serial monitor so I am not sure if this is your real problem. The code is written in a bit of a turgid way, using lots of instructions where a simple loop would do.
Grumpy_Mike,

Thank you for your take on this.  I just read up on the serpentine setup you mentioned (I have never heard it called that before), and you would be correct.  The LED string came pre-wired, and since I am still testing, I just changed the code to match the order of the LEDs.  Where would you say that there is no compensation for my setup in this code?  If there is a simpler way to do this, then please let me know what you would do. 

Also, I agree with you, there seems to be a lot of instructions that don't need to be there for my particular needs, but I don't know for certain what needs to stay or go.  This coding language is new to me.  And yes, it does work from the serial monitor via USB cable, I just can't get the Bluetooth portion to work from my phone.  I am able to connect to the HM-10, but it doesn't accept any commands I send it.  Any ideas?  Thanks again!

Grumpy_Mike

So when you say it won't work with a Bluetooth input how do you wire it up?
You have a
Serial.begin(2000000), you do change that when you connect the Bluetooth do you, I don't think your module runs at that speed. What speed do you change it to?

PaulRB

Dec 07, 2017, 08:21 am Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 08:24 am by PaulRB
As this is for a doll's house, you could shrink the Arduino down to a Pro Mini. That way, connecting the Bluetooth module could be as simple as disconnecting the usb-serial module and connecting the Bluetooth module in it's place with no code changes needed. I'm no expert on Bluetooth modules, but I would imagine they create a wireless serial bridge.

If you must use the Uno, I guess the same technique can't be used because it's not possible to remove the usb-serial chip from the Uno board. So the alternative might be to use two other pins for connection to the bt module and use Softwares Serial library to enable serial Comms over those pins instead. This will require small code changes.

hintonpa

So when you say it won't work with a Bluetooth input how do you wire it up?
You have a
Serial.begin(2000000), you do change that when you connect the Bluetooth do you, I don't think your module runs at that speed. What speed do you change it to?
Sorry, I forgot to change that back.  The HM-10 runs at 9600, I changed it to 2000000 during testing to see how long of a word I could type before I started losing data.  I just changed it back to 9600, then reloaded the code...then magically, it works from the Bluetooth!!!  I knew it was probably something simple.  Thank you Mike for seeing what was right in front of me :-D.

As this is for a doll's house, you could shrink the Arduino down to a Pro Mini. That way, connecting the Bluetooth module could be as simple as disconnecting the usb-serial module and connecting the Bluetooth module in it's place with no code changes needed. I'm no expert on Bluetooth modules, but I would imagine they create a wireless serial bridge.

If you must use the Uno, I guess the same technique can't be used because it's not possible to remove the usb-serial chip from the Uno board. So the alternative might be to use two other pins for connection to the bt module and use Softwares Serial library to enable serial Comms over those pins instead. This will require small code changes.
Thanks Paul, it's actually for a gingerbread house, not a doll house :-).  My friends and I get together for a "Non-Competitive" gingerbread house building competition every year, and this wall is our inspiration this year.   That being said, the Pro Mini would have been a better choice due to the size.  However, I had already bought two of the UNOs, so I'm working with what I've got.  Next year maybe!  Thank you also for turning me on to the software serial function.  I will be tinkering with that next. 

Thanks again both of you, I'll post some pictures of the finished project now that the electronic portion is working properly.  Have a good one!!!

Qdeathstar

Dec 07, 2017, 01:56 pm Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 02:02 pm by Qdeathstar
If "you're" going to troll people, try using proper grammar.  This type of reply does nothing but put a bad taste in someone's mouth about the support a person can get from this forum.  I have stated that I am new to this, and this is my first Arduino project.  The fact that people have been doing this for more than a year has no bearing here,
Sorry, you misunderstood me. You asked why there wasn't much interest in your project, right? "No takers?" There isn't much interest because the inspiration for this project came from a show that aired a year ago, people move on. :shuts: A good project is one that works, so, good project.

after rereading your initial post, i missed that you were looking for help with bluetooth. I thought that this was a completed project. A more descriptive topic title could help?
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Go Up