Go Down

Topic: Soil Monitoring System (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic

kwirk

Hello again guys! I would like to ask for your advise for i am really new to using this Arduino microcontroller and wireless transmitter/receiver module.

My project is to monitor soils' temperature, ph, and moisture with its specific feedback.
I will be using arduino Mega to be interface with the above needed sensors. My goal is to log all the data that have been read by the sensors. Since the sensors are in the field, i would just like to monitor the soil in our house and decided to wirelessly transmit the read data through a wireless tx/rx module directly to our Personal computer and save it (data logger). I also not prefer to use wifi shield technology, since we are not connected to internet.

Scenario: Sensors=>Arduino=>Transmitter module=>Receiver module=>PC

Will it be possible? Could you suggest what transceiver to use and what other things i need to understand.Please do enlighten me.
Thanks a lot. 

dave-in-nj

Dec 07, 2017, 11:27 am Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 11:29 am by dave-in-nj
If you have a field sensor, you can use a simple UNO and a RTC shield with SD card and do data logging.   

you can add any RF bits, lots of notes about those on here and I am sure some others will post links.

the question is about distance.  if your garden is in the back yard, you do not need to worry about distance as it will be so short.

if your garden is acres upon acres, you can create a mesh and have the furthest one send it's data to the one closer, to the one even closer and so on.

if your garden is disperse and you do not have the easy links, you can look into LoRa, somewhat new, but you can send data over long distances.

watch some youtube on people using sensors over long distances.

it would be remiss of me if I did not point out your error on WiFi.  you can have two ESP8266 modules use their wifi to talk to each other. you do not have to have the internet.  they consume lots more power [than most RF units] when communicating, so battery power does come into play.

I would offer that you should start with an UNO, the RTC shield and SD card to get all the sensors working.  get the data you want, check the frequency of the data, no need to get 60 second updates on temperature or soil moisture when hourly or daily is all you really need.

You can get a lot of those up and running and then add wireless as you go.

kwirk

Thank you dave-in-nj.
The distance between our field and house is approximately 250 meters. I never thought we could use the wifi shield without internet, anyways i just heard about it.

If i use lora as a tx/rx module, do i need another arduino to another end(pc side) just to read the data? Just like Receiver=> Arduino=> PC??
Thankss.

dave-in-nj

for any wireless, you need to send and receive.

the ESP8266 does both on it's chip.  but as noted, higher power consumption than other types.

the LoRa is available in a low cost, low power chip that would be better suited for battery power.

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/wireless_guide

this guide does not cover the newer LoRa devices

And the ultimate is the GPS modem that acts like a cell phone.

once you watch some of the video's about distance for some of the chips, you can see what others have done.

wvmarle

WiFi doesn't necessarily need an Internet connection. Just create your own local network.

250 meters can be done with WiFi but needs line of sight. The same will account for most other wireless communication, it's quite a distance. Buildings or (worse) a hill in between will be a problem. Trees may be a problem.

If i use lora as a tx/rx module, do i need another arduino to another end(pc side) just to read the data? Just like Receiver=> Arduino=> PC??
Depends on the module.
There may very well be modules that can connect and communicate over USB. I don't see any reason for this to be impossible, at least technically.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

kwirk

Obstruction is also one of my problem here. The monitoring site is covered by my neighbor's houses. I look also on zigbee series, but nrf is more cheaper and   low powered but still new yet. Well the system will be monitor for 24 hrs and as mentioned wifi shield has a high power requirement. Still looking for other transceivers.

dave-in-nj

you can sleep
wake once every 4 hours
store data
sleep
connect once a day to send data

also, you can send data at any time if anything is in an alarm status.

wvmarle

Using a mobile phone network for data transmission may be another option, especially if you don't have a decent line of sight.

Anyway, those modules come really cheap. The NodeMCU boards (with ESP8266 processor) sell at a few USD a piece, the 433 MHz modules likely cheaper. Get some and see how far you get, that helps a lot in making an informed decision on how to do your project.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Go Up