Go Down

Topic: connecting this relay to a pin (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

SouthernAtHeart

This relay is rated at 5v, 30 mA on the coil, so can it be connected directly to an i/o  pin on my board?
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/524

cr0sh

In theory, you could, since the pins are rated to source 40 mA - but I wouldn't (unless you're only using one or two, and have a good reason to avoid using a buffer circuit). If you do, remember you still need a snubber diode across the coil...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

retrolefty

Yes, but you should wire a diode across the coil terminals in reverse bias to suppress transients when de-energizing.

Lefty

SouthernAtHeart

Ah yes, seems like that's a fly by or flyback diode...
something like a 1N4448, or does it need to handle more power like a 1n4006?
thanks

retrolefty

Ah yes, seems like that's a fly by or flyback diode...
something like a 1N4448, or does it need to handle more power like a 1n4006?
thanks

Not sure, but I like 1 amp diodes for things like that, so my vote would be any of the 1N400x series.

Lefty

jada

hi there i have a question how do you people know about that diode and ic names (numbers?)

Grumpy_Mike

because we have been using them for years. They seep inside your skin.
My telephone extension at work is 741 - now how many of you know what one of those are - been using them for 40 years.

jada

hehe! okey well i thought that we should somehow learn that somewhere  !  ;)

mmcp42

because we have been using them for years. They seep inside your skin.
My telephone extension at work is 741 - now how many of you know what one of those are - been using them for 40 years.

hee hee love the number
op amp as I recall?!?
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

jumanji

Fyi - this place sells a board with 4 relays that you can connect directly to an Arduino output pins.  It is not a "shield" that mounts on the arduino but comes with wires for each relay that are easy to connect to whatever arduino board you have. Also you have to provide a separate 12V supply to the relay board to activate the relays. Here is the link: http://www.pimpmyprop.com/RB4RelayBoardDetails.htm.

Go Up