Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Panel mount jack  (Read 604 times)
South East USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm wanting a panel mount jack for an enclosure, that I can plug a servo into.  I'm wondering what type of plugs/jacks would work.  I've normally used an 1/8" stereo plug, but wondered if there were other options.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Any sort of plug would work, there is a world of choice out there.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Be aware that some plugs cause a short circuit when plugging in/out. This can trigger anything including unwanted effects like damage. -> that makes the world of choice a bit smaller.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Be aware that some plugs cause a short circuit when plugging in/out. This can trigger anything including unwanted effects like damage. -> that makes the world of choice a bit smaller.

Basically - just about any coaxial plug/jack, like the OP's original 1/8" stereo plug/jack; such should be reserved for very low-voltage signals only, where shorts aren't an issue.

For a servo, though - you could do what the RC hobby world does, and just have exposed 3-pin male headers to plug the servos into - fairly standard and expected.

If, however, such connections need more protection from being unplugged, four-pin RJ11 plugs and jacks are a robust and easy-to-use (not to mention common) solution.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

South East USA
God Member
View Profile

If, however, such connections need more protection from being unplugged, four-pin RJ11 plugs and jacks are a robust and easy-to-use (not to mention common) solution.

Great! I wondered about them, just how much current they can handle.  I'm getting a large full rot. servo from SparkFun.  I can't find out what current it draws, nor do I know what an RJ11 Jack can handle.  But I'd guess half an amp for the servo, and probably an 1amp for the jack?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: