Go Down

Topic: Panel mount jack (Read 695 times) previous topic - next topic

SouthernAtHeart

I'm wanting a panel mount jack for an enclosure, that I can plug a servo into.  I'm wondering what type of plugs/jacks would work.  I've normally used an 1/8" stereo plug, but wondered if there were other options.

Grumpy_Mike

Any sort of plug would work, there is a world of choice out there.

robtillaart

Be aware that some plugs cause a short circuit when plugging in/out. This can trigger anything including unwanted effects like damage. -> that makes the world of choice a bit smaller.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

cr0sh

Be aware that some plugs cause a short circuit when plugging in/out. This can trigger anything including unwanted effects like damage. -> that makes the world of choice a bit smaller.

Basically - just about any coaxial plug/jack, like the OP's original 1/8" stereo plug/jack; such should be reserved for very low-voltage signals only, where shorts aren't an issue.

For a servo, though - you could do what the RC hobby world does, and just have exposed 3-pin male headers to plug the servos into - fairly standard and expected.

If, however, such connections need more protection from being unplugged, four-pin RJ11 plugs and jacks are a robust and easy-to-use (not to mention common) solution.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

SouthernAtHeart

If, however, such connections need more protection from being unplugged, four-pin RJ11 plugs and jacks are a robust and easy-to-use (not to mention common) solution.

Great! I wondered about them, just how much current they can handle.  I'm getting a large full rot. servo from SparkFun.  I can't find out what current it draws, nor do I know what an RJ11 Jack can handle.  But I'd guess half an amp for the servo, and probably an 1amp for the jack?

Go Up