Go Down

Topic: Using a cellular module (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

SirPoonga

I am working on a HUD speedo for my motorcycle.  It should be easy enough, just and arduino, gps shield, and 4 digit 7 segment led.  I got that part working (other than a defective gps module).  This got me thinking, I will always have a gps on my bike then maybe I can track my bike.  After some research it seems the best way to do this is to get a cellular shield and send SMS somewhere.

i have a couple questions about this.  First, does anyone have experience with this in the US?  If so what cell plan do you have? 

I only need a text plan and I found one from a company called Qwert that offers 400 messages a month for $11 or unlimited for $20.  After reading their terms agreement I could do the 400 per month if I am careful.  I wonder if this is enough.  I would have to keep track of how many are sent and find a rate that keeps me within that limit.  Maybe base in on once every 5 minutes or every 2 miles or something.  I would have a switch so I can manually keep the device from sending messages if I need to.  Then to create balance have a button to force a message to be sent.  If the message count is high, say 370 or greater, I can indicate that by turning on one of the decimal points.  If at limit I could turn on all decimal points.

The other issue is to get the SMS messages to google maps.  I think I have a solution for this.  Send the SMS to a twitter account.  The SMS will be in the format of RideID, TimeStamp, Long, Lat.  Then I could make a php script on my website to use the twitter api that gets the last 20 status messages and put them on a google map.  This seems kind of like a hack though.  Anyone know a more elegant way?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy