Go Down

Topic: Color Organ / Spectrum Analyzer using fixed point FFT. (Read 7372 times) previous topic - next topic

Feb 10, 2011, 10:07 pm Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011, 04:07 pm by Magician Reason: 1
  The my basic idea was to create color organ / spectrum analyzer on arduino board, trying to minimize using external components, like analog filter, LED display drivers, etc.

Tweaking around web-camera for couple days, I was able to film a "video" for project. And I find out it's not easy to get it right. There are two minor problem still exist:
- delay between sound track and film;
- color temperature of CMOS sensor in the camera is not correct.
Enjoy the show  :smiley-red:    Video on youtube:

For guys, who not interested in hardware part of the project and 'd like to use the software part only in different application ( interactivity/processing ), they can just pull data over serial link, as it was done for debugging purposes, with "f" command.

After FFT-processing input data array x, generated output array fx with  32 elements, "bins", each representing a range of frequencies. The width of a bin equals:
D = 1 / T, where T is input array sampling timing, in our case T = 14.6 millisecond.
D = 1 / (14.6 * 10^-3) = ~ 70 Hz.
So, the value of fx[0] is amplitude DC offset up to 35 Hz;
fx[1] is amplitude in a range   35 <---> 105 Hz;
fx[2] is amplitude in a range 105 <---> 175 Hz;
fx[3] is amplitude in a range 175 <---> 245 Hz;
fx[4] is amplitude in a range 245 <---> 315 Hz;
fx[31] is amplitude in a range 2135 <---> 2170 Hz;
   Upper limits could be extended up to 76 KHz.(*)

Sum up first 10 fx bins, I'm getting 35 <---> 735 Hz frequency range for red LED's, from 11-th to 20-th consequently provides me 735 <---> 1435 Hz  for green LED's, and from 21-st to 31-st 1435 <---> 2170 Hz range for blue LED's.

Now hardware part.
I've used Christmas LEDs, that left over since last holiday  :)
This is why I put 3 of them in each string, and have to use ULN2003 with 12V power source. Basically, all you  need 12 LED's ( 4 - red, 4 - green and 4 blue ) and 12 resistors,
connect led + resistor between output of arduino board  and ground.

For sound input I used a kit MK136 ( mic + IC NE5532 ), powered up from arduino board +5V,
No DC blocking capacitor on the output, resistor 47 k Ohm changed to 220 k Ohm in order increase sensitivity. And it has 3.5 mm jack audio connector.

Sparkfun's breakout board for electret microphone will works as well:  

I was not able to post code on this page as it above the limits (15000), plz. check on :

That it for now, will come back to answer your questions if you have any.

+++ Check out The MajorDecibel Project Review, a third party project review site spotlighting electr

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131