Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LM8560 Digital Clock IC Library  (Read 2174 times)
Memphis, TN
I <3 code.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm writing a library for the LM8560 Digital Clock IC.  It not only is an alarm enabled clock, it has a built in LED display controller.  It's also found in most cheap alarm clocks.  I might later take part in developing a shield.  The LM8560 is usually implemented in circuits that do not have a crystal or any other form of oscillator, instead it uses the AC waveform.  This may pose a problem, since it appears the whole thing runs on AC.  I might try it with DC and use the arduino's PWM to replicate a 60Hz waveform and see if it still works.

Though this probably wouldn't be acceptable for a library.  It would change the timers of the AVR, therefore causing things like delay(), millis(), and others not to work correctly.  I'm thinking either use a crystal or a 555 timer, though that might have stability issues.

Some practical uses for this are:
  • To provide a steady 1 second interrupt.  (Could be useful for timing and such)
  • To provide a RTC. (This would basically just probe the display pins and determine what the time is based on their state.)
  • To provide a timer system.  (Basically just set the alarm time to something and use the alarm output as an interrupt.)

A backup supply can also be used with this IC.  I'm thinking for a way to set the clock is to provide a basic sketch which will take input from the serial port and then use that to set the time.

Any ideas or questions?

- Aaron

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I might try it with DC and use the arduino's PWM to replicate a 60Hz waveform and see if it still works.
That won't produce alternating current. You'll simply have a square wave that goes from 0 to 5V with varying widths, depending on the input value.

It would change the timers of the AVR, therefore causing things like delay(), millis(), and others not to work correctly.
Why?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: