Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mac Arduino application launch time  (Read 1077 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Offline Offline
Newbie
*
Karma: 0
Posts: 3
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Why does it take 3-4 minutes to launch the Arduino application the first time on my Mac?  Other Java applications are a little slow launching but nowhere near that long.

Once launched the Arduino application works well.  Subsequent launches are much quicker, at least it seems, until log out or the daily system maintenance scripts run.

It's a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.6.6 with both 32-bit and 64-bit Java SE 6 (version 1.6.0_22-b04-307) installed.  Also I did install the FTDI USB serial drivers.
Logged

Forum Administrator
Offline Offline
God Member
*****
Karma: 52
Posts: 646
I find plain exciting
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

that is strange.

I'm on mac and the IDE opens in seconds.

do you have any bluetooth ports defined?
Can you try launching it with bluetooth switched off?


Logged

France
Offline Offline
God Member
*****
Karma: 11
Posts: 643
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi!

I used to experience the same problem with release 0022 till I found this solution.

Open file
      /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Info.plist

and change
      <key>JVMVersion</key>
      <string>1.5*</string>
to
      <key>JVMVersion</key>
      <string>1.6*</string>

I can't remember where I've found this solution, but it works great. Arduino IDE opens in a zap.

Same solution applies for Processing.

Enjoy  smiley
Logged


Offline Offline
Newbie
*
Karma: 0
Posts: 3
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thanks for the suggestions.  It's taken a couple of days to check them out.

I made the change of JVMVersion from 1.5* to 1.6* without any decrease in the Arduino.app launch time.

I do have Bluetooth turned off, however these four items appear in Tools > Serial Port:
   /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
   /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
   /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem
   /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
   
Connecting the Arduino board adds these:
   /dev/tty.usbmodem641
   /dev/cu.usbmodem641
   
There is a high level of CPU activity for both cores during the slow launch of the Arduino.app.  Also substantial disk reads.  Activity Monitor indicates the PID 74 InterCheck process at about 98% CPU activity during the launch, then dropping to zero after Arduino.app is finally running.

I cannot figure why subsequent re-launches are quick, but what happens to again have very slow launches after a long period of inactivity or overnight.
Logged

France
Offline Offline
God Member
*****
Karma: 11
Posts: 643
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi!

Let's consider the usual suspects:

  • Open Disk Utility
  • Launch Check Disk and, if required, Fix Disk
  • Launch Fix Disk Authorisations (it may take a while)

You could also use the excellent Onyx utility.


Now, I search more specifically about InterCheck: it seems to be related to Sophos Antivirus.

Sophos is said to slow down the whole computer dramatically when an application is launched for the first time.

Are you using that antivirus? I'm using ClamXav.


I hope it helps  smiley

Logged


Offline Offline
Newbie
*
Karma: 0
Posts: 3
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Great clue.  Yes, it helps and yes I do use Sophos Anti-Virus.  That started since I interact with mostly Windows users transferring publication files back and forth.  And, a concern for or suspicion of passing Windows malware through my Mac.

I do regularly run Applejack to check disks, permissions, etc., but the immediate suspect is that InterCheck application (PID 74) belonging to Sophos Anti-Virus.

I first disabled the "on access scanner" option in Sophos and the Arduino.app started right up.  Almost no InterCheck CPU usage.  Then turned the option back on, but added Arduino.app to a list of excluded items in Sophos.  Then a short period of InterCheck activity, but Arduino launched much quicker than without the exclusion.

This still needs to be checked further plus allowing for some longer periods of inactivity or overnight, but I do think your suggestion is right on.  Thanks again for the help.
Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: