Go Down

Topic: USB Power (Read 600 times) previous topic - next topic

Noobie question:

If I want to have a standalone board with an arduino chip/ oscillator, can I just use USB power directly with the right connector (USB +5V directly to Arduino Vcc)?

That is, is USB power regulated (from the computer, or one of those AC/USB wall adapters), so a separate voltage regulator would not be required on board?

Thanks!
+++ Check out The MajorDecibel Project Review, a third party project review site spotlighting electr

DCContrarian

Yes. I've used an AC wall adapter and it's an easy way to get it working. If you use power from a USB port on a computer there is a limit to how much power you can draw.

Coding Badly

If I want to have a standalone board with an arduino chip/ oscillator, can I just use USB power directly with the right connector (USB +5V directly to Arduino Vcc)?

Yes.  However, you may want to put a powered USB HUB in the middle to provide some protection for the host computer.  This has the added benefit of powering your project when the computer is off or disconnected.

Ok thanks to both of you - I will try as a starter just running the USB 5v directly to the Arduino Vcc pin (this would not be an UNO board, or whatever).

This seems like a simple, inexpensive, and safe (though current limited) method of powering a custom board.

+++ Check out The MajorDecibel Project Review, a third party project review site spotlighting electr

Go Up