Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best overall servo?  (Read 1027 times)
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've only ever used cheap, chinese 9g servos and was very disappointed by them.  smiley-cry Are there any certain servos that you've found to be a great quality for the money, for me to try out for my first (decent) servo? Thanks!
~Alex

"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

As with most consumer electronics I suspect there are all actually manufacured in China or other nearby Asian countries. 'Name brand' servos in the R/C world include Hitec, Futaba, JR and maybe a few others. These offer a wide selection of sizes, metal or plastic geared, digital or analog designs, etc.

Lefty

View Profile

Well, for a few more specifics, metal gear would be nice, I'm sick of plastic.  smiley-roll Hey, if it's got to be from China, at least make it a good product from China.  smiley-razz

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Well, for a few more specifics, metal gear would be nice, I'm sick of plastic.  smiley-roll Hey, if it's got to be from China, at least make it a good product from China.  smiley-razz

http://www.servocity.com/html/servos___accessories.html

View Profile

wow, very nice collection of goodies smiley-grin Thanks! Just keeping it within a paycheck may be hard  smiley-eek

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

It what way were you disappointed in the servos you have been using?
Brand name high-end servos cost 100x or more compared to the cheap hobbycity varieties. (by the time you get to digital titanium gear ultra-torque hall-effect servos.  http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYPV1&P=7 )

Ohio
Arduino Hexapod
View Profile

Yes, you really need to help us out with information on where your disappointment lies.
Are the servos too fragile?  Do they have too little torque?  Do they have too much free play?  Are they too slow?
What is it that you are trying to do with them?  Are there weight restrictions?  Size limitations?  Other environmental limitations?

I have some 1.1 gram servos that meet my needs for my smaller RC airplanes.
And we have some $200 monsters for my brothers larger airplanes.

Without knowing more about what you are doing, there is little valuable advice we can give.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hi.. quick question here.. i have also only used those cheap 9g micro servos before..

whats the difference between a digital and analog servo? can both be controlled the same way using the arduino servo library?

London
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Have you had a look at the OpenServo project.

You can take a cheaperer servo's and give it some advanced features.
It can give you better control and feadback from the servo.
It uses I2C instead of direct pwm from the controller so you can string them on the same bus and save pins for other uses.
http://www.openservo.org/

Gordon

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I've only ever used cheap, chinese 9g servos and was very disappointed by them

If your 9g servos are failing, perhaps you are using a servo that is way undersized for what is needed. The below servo is pretty stout at an inexpensive price.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

hi.. quick question here.. i have also only used those cheap 9g micro servos before..

whats the difference between a digital and analog servo? can both be controlled the same way using the arduino servo library?

They can both be used the same way with an Arduino, just using a servo library. A digital servo has an internal micro and can be programmed (with extra cost programmer/software) to optimize certain servo characteristics  parameters if desired, like travel limits, speed ramping, and tons of other options.

Lefty

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

It what way were you disappointed in the servos you have been using?
Brand name high-end servos cost 100x or more compared to the cheap hobbycity varieties. (by the time you get to digital titanium gear ultra-torque hall-effect servos.  http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYPV1&P=7 )

At that price, you could probably build one cheaper (though it wouldn't be as lightweight) using a standard gearmotor and a custom feedback system (or hacked cheapo R/C servo and h-bridge).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: