Go Down

Topic: Question about Arduino Serial Board from Mouser (Read 2576 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

Smart Projects in Italy.

This is the official Arduino Manufacturer, right?

TomKi

Smart Projects in Italy.

This is the official Arduino Manufacturer, right?

It is.  I found it on the main site here.  That didn't occur to me until after I had already called Mouser and they didn't know.  They name Arduino as the supplier and Arduino names Smart Projects as their manufacturer.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Buy

CrossRoads

Got mine - 5 bare boards.
Just ordered a bunch of components at dipmicro.com to populate it, all thru hole components.
Have plenty of resistors  & LEDs on hand already, leaving off the header connectors for now, pretty much ordered the rest.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

westfw

Have plenty of resistors  & LEDs on hand already, leaving off the header connectors for now,

This is how you actually save money building your own Arduino vs buying one pre-built.  By the time you have to order every part on the board (frequently from different sites), it's pretty hard to beat the assembled cost by very much.  But if you've already got a collection of various resistors and caps and leds, and can decide that other components can be left out for one reason or another, THEN the cost is pretty much PCB+CPU+crystal, which can get pretty cheap...

CrossRoads

I ordered parts for 7 boards, plus some surface mount adapters for playing with, all came to $50, the 3 pricey parts were the atmega, 7805, and serial connector. 5 PCBs were $6.76 each, so boards ready to be installed in something will be $16 with true RS232 interface.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

TomKi

The whole list of parts doesn't cost that much from Mouser.  I was going to order some things anyway and there was this handy board that I could solder a chip and a few bits and bobs to.  I wanted a board that was suitable for an Atmel chip that required a separate ground plane for the ADC's VCC.  Moving up to an ATMega simplifies, at least as far as I can tell, wiring it up and programming my project.  Or not.  The chip costs about the same as the ATTiny26 and all the other parts are exactly the same. 

It requires the six pin programming cable and I'll be waiting for that to arrive from Sparkfun.

Go Up