Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Nano - Avrdude Device Signature 0x000000  (Read 269 times)
Louisville, KY
Huge nerd and terrible otaku. 22 year-old Electrical Engineer hoping to break out into embedded systems.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm new to the forum, so sorry if this is an issue that continuously gets beat into the ground.  I am having an issue with my Arduino Nano, as I was playing around with the fuse settings in avrdude, and apparently made the Device Signature 0x000000. 

I've read that the only way to fix this is to either get another programmer or use an external crystal....  but since the device is so small I am unsure of how to use an external crystal with it other than doing some risky soldering on itty bitty legs...  I've also read this post (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,25385.0.html) to try to change the "-B DELAY", but I have had no luck.

Basically, what are my options as to getting this issue resolved? I am using an Olimex programmer (https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-ISP500/) for the burning, which is used as "stk500v2"  Is there no way to override the error and just try to burn the original Arduino bootloader back onto it?

Thanks.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Nano already has a crystal.
I would try just selecting board type Nano in the IDE and then reburning the original bootlaoder, which also sets the fuses.

You may have to add a line or two to programmers.txt for the IDE to recognize your programmer.
Or, maybe just select another programmer that also uses stk500v2.
Or, maybe someone else who has that programmer will help out here.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Louisville, KY
Huge nerd and terrible otaku. 22 year-old Electrical Engineer hoping to break out into embedded systems.
View Profile

Yeah, it has a pretty tiny one.  I was mostly just asking I guess if my crystal was bad?

I would try just selecting board type Nano in the IDE and then reburning the original bootlaoder, which also sets the fuses.
When I do that, I still get the same error.  smiley-sad

You may have to add a line or two to programmers.txt for the IDE to recognize your programmer.
Or, maybe just select another programmer that also uses stk500v2.
Or, maybe someone else who has that programmer will help out here.
Well, see I've been using avrdude on the command line in Windows and in Linux without a problem the past few days, then next thing I know I play with the fuse settings and the thing doesn't work... 

I'll try adding my programmer though, I tried using this source (http://hblok.net/blog/posts/2012/07/02/burning-a-bootloader-with-the-stk500v2/) and I don't think that seemed to work on Windows... 

Basically, even if I use avrdude on the command line in Linux  I still get the "Yikes! Device Signature 0x000000" error even though I know my programmer works on Linux.  >_<

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Try the Loopback Test in the Installations forum, make sure the onboard FTDI chip is still working. If it is, then you may indeed have bricked your 328P for normal bootlaoding. You will need a High Voltage programmer (12V) to unlock the chip and start over.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Louisville, KY
View Profile

Hmm, okay.  I will definitely try that out.

I have another Arduino laying around (an Uno).  Could I somehow use that as a High Voltage programmer?  (http://microtherion.github.io/ScratchMonkey/HighVoltage.html)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That should be possible. I've never done it.

NSW Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

I imagine the suggestion here is that the fuses can be adversely set for an incompatible mode, such as "low drive".

Yeah, it has a pretty tiny one.  I was mostly just asking I guess if my crystal was bad?

Size should have nothing to do with it.  It is very implausible that anything you could have done in software would damage the crystal.

Louisville, KY
View Profile

Size should have nothing to do with it. 
By size, I really just meant that it would be hard to replace (for me) because I don't have any surface mount equipment.

It is very implausible that anything you could have done in software would damage the crystal.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  The information about this issue is so diverse and I am kinda new to it, so I just wanted to make sure before ordering anything unnecessary. Thanks!  Like I said, I will try the loopback testing and report back.  smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: