Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Tiny  (Read 60061 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Have you had any problems with it?  Made any changes?  Thought of any enhancements you'd like added?

No problems once I added pull-ups smiley-red

On enhancements, I would love to add onReceive and onRequest to slave lib but am not up the curve on C++ arduino enough to get very far.  I would love to help though.

For core enhancement, it would be nice to have a TinyDebugSerial Rx to go with the Tx.

I think having a full function I2C slave on ATTiny platform would be killer for the Arduino Tiny platform...big Arduino running I2C master code, and little ATTinyXXs running I2C slave code on a network of sensors, actuators and what not.

What do you say?

Best Regards,
George
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:11:26 am by MGeo » Logged

Deep south of Italy
Faraday Member
The quieter you become, the more you can hear
View Profile

...i'd like to have a MCU pinout cheathsheet with drawings and pin to pin equivalence between arduino and the other tiny dwarfs smiley

Edit: i forgot it smiley-razz
here you will find the modded core files
http://www.gioblu.com/components/com_agora/img/members/15/tiny.rar
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:28:58 pm by BrainBooster » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

On enhancements, I would love to add onReceive and onRequest to slave lib

Got it.

I would love to help though.

Careful.  You may end up with a homework assignment.

For core enhancement, it would be nice to have a TinyDebugSerial Rx to go with the Tx.

TinyDebugSerial was meant to be very small so it could be used with the memory constraint processors (ATtiny25, ATtiny2313, etcetera) and leave plenty of room for "large" applications on the "bigger" processors (ATtiny85, ATtiny84).  Receive roughly triples the size of a software serial implementation and I've had good luck with NewSoftwareSerial on the "bigger" processors so adding receive is fairly low on the priority list.   smiley-wink

Have you tried NewSoftwareSerial?

What sort of data are you hoping to receive?  Debugging commands?

I think having a full function I2C slave on ATTiny platform would be killer for the Arduino Tiny platform...big Arduino running I2C master code, and little ATTinyXXs running I2C slave code on a network of sensors, actuators and what not.

For tiny slaves, what about using 1-Wire instead of I2C?  Do you have a need for high-speed communications?

What do you say?

I'm wrapping up a new version of Arduion ISP that should make tiny work much less painful and adding digital*Fast functions to the core for the ATtiny85 processor.  After that, I plan to add hardware support for servos.  At some point, I'll bring the core in line with Arduino 1.0.  I guess after that I can take a stab at I2C callbacks.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

...i'd like to have a MCU pinout cheathsheet with drawings and pin to pin equivalence between arduino and the other tiny dwarfs smiley

How do the Arduino folks make their pin-out diagrams?

Edit: i forgot it smiley-razz

Which?  The pin-out diagrams?

Modified to support ATtiny4313 processors?

Deep south of Italy
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yes , i forgot to give the link for the modded core files smiley-razz
the above link pointing to the rar file contain the tiny core files  Modified to support ATtiny4313 processors.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:58:43 am by BrainBooster » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Got it.  Thanks.

View Profile

Have you tried NewSoftwareSerial?

No, I will now though.

For tiny slaves, what about using 1-Wire instead of I2C?  Do you have a need for high-speed communications?

Yes I am looking for high speed comm, half-duplex for sensor/actuator network.  I2C works but with low pin count packages it would be nice to get down to a single wire if it is possible.  Comm is all command / respond so half-duplex would seem ok.  On thinking about your suggestion, 1-Wire looks like it may be ideal but I can find little on 1-Wire slave, only 1-Wire master.  Seems Dallas/Maxim tries to prevent slaves as proprietary.  I don't think they can own the concept of a single bi-directional wire.  Maybe OpenOneWire, based on AVR274 (www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/AVR274.pdf)?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:56:40 am by MGeo » Logged

Deep south of Italy
Faraday Member
View Profile

@MGeo, mcu and clock of your project?

View Profile

@MGeo, mcu and clock of your project?

ATtiny85, ATTiny45 at 8 MHz internal osc, ATTiny2313 at 16MHz xtal

Deep south of Italy
Faraday Member
View Profile

with newsoftwareserial, and the attiny85  at 8mhz, the uart could not work, if so...
in the NewSoftSerial.cpp file , search the line:
void NewSoftSerial::enable_timer0(bool enable)
and then change this
Code:
{

if (enable)

#if defined(__AVR_ATmega8__)

sbi(TIMSK, TOIE0);

#else

sbi(TIMSK0, TOIE0);

#endif

else

#if defined(__AVR_ATmega8__)

cbi(TIMSK, TOIE0);

#else

cbi(TIMSK0, TOIE0);

#endif

}

in this
Code:
{

if (enable)

sbi(TIMSK, TOIE0);

else

cbi(TIMSK, TOIE0);

}
and then it should work.
hope this help smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:04:39 am by BrainBooster » Logged

Humboldt, CA
Arduino BBB
View Profile

Finally had a chance to play with timer1, this thing is cool!

It took me a while to get it to turn on, there are some obscure bits in some obscure registers that have to be set in obscure ways.
Once that was taken care of (thank you AVR-Freaks search feature) I was able to get down to business dragging the frequencies I want out of the thing.
There are at least four factors to the output frequency, they're listed below in no special order:

1) MCU clock speed.  Not that hard to change, but say goodbye to millis accuracy.
2) Peripheral clock speed, I think there are only two options here.  I don't really know though.  I went with high speed.
3) Clock Select bits in TCCR1.  These change both timer1 PWM outputs.  No real downside, but they go in fairly large notches speed wise.
4) TOP value stored in OCR1C, this is where the PWM timer stops counting up.  Normal is 255, if you set TOP to 127 you get 2x the PWM frequency.  Downside here (they're everywhere!) is that resolution decreases, there are only 128 possible settings from 0 to 127, as opposed to 256 for 0-255.

Below is some simple code that brings both timer1 PWM outputs from 0 through TOP (think 0-255 in normal land) at 25khz and then at 4.9kz, then 25khz, etc.  Some of the comments are from the AVR-Freaks forum, just as a heads up.
Code:
void setup(){
  for (int x = 0 ; x < 6 ; x++){
    pinMode(x,OUTPUT);
  }
/* Configure PWM  -- feq. 125KHz */
   PLLCSR |= ((1<<PLLE) ); /* Enable PLL */
    {
      unsigned char counter;

/* Wait at least 100 us for PLL to stabilize */
      for(counter = 0; counter < 250; counter++)
      {
         asm("nop"); /* Each NOP should take 500 ns -- MCU Clock at 2MHz */
      }
   }
   while(bit_is_clear(PLLCSR,PLOCK)) ; /* Wait for PLL to lock (approx. 100ms) */
   PLLCSR |= (1<<PCKE); /* Set PLL as PWM clock source */

//The following for 4.9khz
//  OCR1C = 205; /* TOP value -- PWM with 256 bits of resolution */
 // TCCR1 |= ((1<<PWM1A) | (1<<COM1A1) | (0<<CS13) | (1<<CS12) | (1<<CS11) | (1<<CS10));

//The following for 25khz
  OCR1C = 160; // TOP value -- 160 at 0101
  TCCR1 |= ((1<<PWM1A) | (1<<COM1A1) | (0<<CS13) | (1<<CS12) | (0<<CS11) | (1<<CS10));

GTCCR |= ((1<<PWM1B) | (1<<COM1B1)); //This turns on channel 2, on PB4

}

void loop(){
for (int x = 0 ; x < OCR1C; x++){
  OCR1A = x; //pin 1
  OCR1B = x; //pin 4
    if (x == 0){
      delay(800);
    }
  delay(30);
  }
  delay(800);
  OCR1C = 205;
  TCCR1 = 0x00;  //I don't know why, but the line below cannot write 0's, only 1's.  Hence I have to clear TCCR1 before re-writing.
  TCCR1 |= ((1<<PWM1A) | (1<<COM1A1) | (0<<CS13) | (1<<CS12) | (1<<CS11) | (1<<CS10));
  for (int x = 0 ; x < OCR1C; x++){
    OCR1A = x; //pin 1
    OCR1B = x; //pin 4
    if (x == 0){
      delay(800);
    }
    delay(30);
  }
  delay(800);
  OCR1C = 160;
  TCCR1 = 0x00; //I don't know why, but the line below cannot write 0's, only 1's.  Hence I have to clear TCCR1 before re-writing.
  TCCR1 |= ((1<<PWM1A) | (1<<COM1A1) | (0<<CS13) | (1<<CS12) | (0<<CS11) | (1<<CS10));
}

For unknown reasons I have to clear TCCR1 before the |etc. mode of changing bits works, as mentioned in the comments.

Thanks for aiming me at Timer1 Coding Badly, now that I have it (vaguely) figured out I don't have to muck with millis and/or manually trial and error calibrating OSCCAL for 6.5mhz operation!

EDIT:
This uses Coding Badly's core.  No clue whether it works elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:24:56 am by Bobnova » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

This is really cool stuff people!

I've been able to program some atTiny85s using ArduinoISP and the http://hlt.media.mit.edu/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ArduinoATtiny4585  core.

I'm looking to "upgrade" to the Arduino Tiny base since it looks like the shared work is headed in a direction more aligned with what I'm trying to do.

Initially I'd like to use 3 PWM channels to control an RGB LED.  When looking at the tinyX5 core set, there are two timers, both of which can drive PWM outputs.  Only timer0 can do phase correct PWM.  That's ok, for LED brightness control phase is not a problem.  So I should be able to use both timers, and theoretically have 4 PWM outputs, but...

It looks like the PWM outputs of the two timers overlap.  Pin 6 has OC0B, pin5 has both OC0A and OC1A, pin 3 has OC1B.  Sharing OC0A and OC1A on pin 5 is unfortunate if you want more PWM outputs :-)

Has anyone else experimented with more PWM channels on the tinyX5 series?

thanks,
Robbo

Humboldt, CA
Arduino BBB
View Profile

Three is about it for the ATtiny85 I believe.  Not 100% positive on that.
Three however is quite doable, and is exactly how many you need for an RGBLED.

The attiny2313 says it has four PWM channels, I haven't looked at the datasheet to see whether some overlap though.

Seattle, WA
View Profile

@Codingbadly: just a side note, but this is now my favorite way of developing apps for the Tiny.  Excellent work, and wholehearted thanks for sharing.  It's really enabled me to make a lot more crazy devices with my tinys without having to resort to AVR studio.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

When looking at the tinyX5 core set, there are two timers

Yup.

both of which can drive PWM outputs

Yup.

Only timer0 can do phase correct PWM

Yup.  By default, the Tiny Core is configured with two phase correct outputs and one fast output.  There is a compile-time option to switch to one phase and two fast.

It looks like the PWM outputs of the two timers overlap

Yup.  And I vaguely recall that you can have both outputs enabled creating a rather strange situation.  The Tiny Core, however, only enables one of the outputs.

if you want more PWM outputs

I suspect this could be ported to the '85 processor allowing (low frequency) PWM on all the pins...
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268806013

Has anyone else experimented with more PWM channels on the tinyX5 series?

More than what?  Two?  Three?  Four?

The attiny2313 says it has four PWM channels

Yup.

whether some overlap

Nope.  Four outputs.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up
Jump to: