Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Tiny  (Read 50062 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Install 1.0.x...?

Yes, that had crossed my mind... I was just wondering whether there's a version out in the wild which already has the reorg needed for 1.5.x.

Looks like I just got something going, BTW. But tying into an existing codebase would be nice.

-jcw

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I was just wondering whether there's a version out in the wild which already has the reorg needed for 1.5.x.

Bear in mind the multi-platform support has not finished gelling.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Is it worth the required space to install it in.. (1.5.X) My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560 and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313... After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Is it worth the required space to install it in (1.5.X)...

I have not used 1.5.X since I first installed it.  1.0.X is an excellent choice for...

My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560...

... and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313.  After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Yeah, that 2313 really tests the limits of one's sanity.  So very little memory.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Is it worth the required space to install it in.. (1.5.X) My primary interest's now are the 328, 2560 and I'd sure like to learn to really use the 2313... After I think, a better understanding of the Language.

Bob

No, in fact in my opinion one should avoid using 1.5.x unless they are using it (as required) for the new Due arm based board. It's a beta release and one should avoid using it for all 8 bit AVR chips. When it comes out of beta I'm sure they will release it as the IDE standard release to support all arduino boards.

Lefty

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Cool.. Thank You Sir..

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Now that the IDE 1.0.5 seems to be the last release of the branch 1.0.x (read here), are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

...are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

Well, 1.5.2 is not any better.  I'll give the Nightly Build a spin...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

not sure how a minor revision of the 1.0 branch automatically assumes news on the beta 1.5 branch but good to know

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

not sure how a minor revision of the 1.0 branch automatically assumes news on the beta 1.5 branch but good to know

1.5.1 was that last time I checked for issues.  The 1.0 news was just a reminder that I should recheck 1.5.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Now that the IDE 1.0.5 seems to be the last release of the branch 1.0.x (read here), are there news about the Tiny core integration into IDE 1.5.x?

With 1.5 it is possible to include a toolset with the the core#.  For example, I could include WinAVR-20100110.  The included toolset would be used when building projects with the Tiny Core instead of the WinAVR-20081205 that comes with the Arduino IDE.  Primarily it would eliminate the sometimes necessary step of upgrading the linker.

Do you2 want a toolset included with the Tiny Core?

If "yes" which toolset?  WinAVR-20100110?  The latest AVR Toolchain from Atmel?  Something else?

# I would provide two downloads.  One with the toolset and one without.
2 "You" meaning anyone reading this post / not just leo72.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
God Member
View Profile

The WinAVR-20100110 toolset will add support for the t4313 and others, but not the t1634.

The Atmel AVRtoolchain will add support for the t1634.

Is there any drawback to the Atmel AVRtoolchain?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Is there any drawback to the Atmel AVRtoolchain?

My testing of it has been limited to 30 minutes on one computer for the ATtiny13.  The compiler is noticeably slower.

On the plus side, the final image was several bytes smaller.

I didn't find anything significant to push one way or the other.

So, the follow-up question: Are you1 using a processor that is not supported by the Arduino / WinAVR-20081205 toolset?

1 "You" meaning anyone reading this post / not just hiduino.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'd like to see a more consistent IDE and toolset I have code that won't compile under ver 1.04 stock but OK with Enrieds mods, stuff that won't compile under 1.01...
I also have issues sometimes with the tiny cores where something wouldn't compile under one or the other of the versions.. I'd also like to see the latest toolset possible without breaking something else.
I have NO use for ver 1.5X.X... I don't think that the results are going to be any better than they were when the upgrade to "Final" (1.XX) code and IDE and as to 1.05 being the "Last", I sincerely hope not.
The changes since 1.0 not mentioning 1.02.. are for me at least more confusing than really beneficial... Except "Compile Error" which is generally something of a "Late observation"... because the error messages usually aren't relevant however I need to point out that both the Arduino and C++ were strangers to me in march of 2012 when I bought an R3 Uno from that place in Florida that sells on Ebay.
It would be nice to have a revision or change list or notice with each version of the IDE, I suppose there is one somewhere but I've never seen it.
There have been three? different recommendations about where to put lib's and sketches. I'm still not entirely sure about all of it because I've used the scheme that was in "Vogue" with Ver 1.0 until ver 1.04 and I'm still not sure of what I'll break in the code I've already written If I move the 1.0 lib's into the "current' scheme of doing things.. or run afoul of a "New" library that won't compile, Ala Wprogram.h or something equally dumb, I had to find that one out by reading a lot of forum.. Unfortunately after a Google search that IMO wasn't necessary.
Ain't it amazing how such a simple question like that can pop some (me!) into a rant, I didn't even know it was coming until I re-read it.
I sorry... but I don't think that I'm alone there. The Enried modifications seem more proper packaging than anything major.. I guess it was his weird that caused him to do what Arduino should have from the start... Make a slightly friendlier (less indifferent) IDE with an attempt at consistency.

Doc
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:59:00 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I think a lot of compile issues (maybe not yours) is the way avrgcc likes to toss a screwball at us, like timer interrupts on mega its TIMER1 blah blah blah on tiny's its TIM1

that is out of the scope of what can or can not be done with the IDE or cores without some serious halfassery causing bigger problems down the road 

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
Jump to: