Arduino Tiny

PapaG:
The boards.txt file contains a few lines that contain the values for the fuses. It would not be necessary to have .hex file of several hundred bytes for that. There must be another answer.

With Arduino 0023 it was necessary to have an image to upload when Burn Bootloader was executed.

The "empty" images are all built with this...
http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fhardware%2Ftiny%2Fcores%2Fempty

Ah, thank you!

Here is my software serial library for Arduino Tiny: http://www.pablogindel.com/images/SoftSerial.rar

Instructions in usage.txt file.

Regards,
P.G.

I have not really dug into it since its late, but what advantages are you seeing over the normal software serial library (I use soft serial on the 85 quite a bit)

A question redarding IDE 1.5.1
Both Arduino 1.0.x and 1.5 have been merged into IDE 1.5.1, that you can use to compile for Arduino UNO/MEGA/Leonardo and the new DUE.
I've tried to put the Tiny core inside the /hardware/arduino/avr/cores folder but it seems that it doesn't work. When I open the Tools/Boards menu I don't find the entries for the Tiny MCUs...

leo72:
Both Arduino 1.0.x and 1.5 have been merged into IDE 1.5.1 ...

My attitude is, when it shows up here... http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software ...it's official. :wink:

I've tried to put the Tiny core inside the /hardware/arduino/avr/cores folder but it seems that it doesn't work. When I open the Tools/Boards menu I don't find the entries for the Tiny MCUs...

That's not good. I'll try to spend some time on it this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

I got it working fine with 1.5.1. I will post where I put everything this evening.

Yeah, but having both the UNO and the DUE, I needed to use the 1.5. When the 1.5.1 has been released, I read that it merged both branches, so I tried to program my Tinys with it.

That's not good. I'll try to spend some time on it this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

Uhm.. good news for me. :smiley:

Osgeld:
I have not really dug into it since its late, but what advantages are you seeing over the normal software serial library (I use soft serial on the 85 quite a bit)

Advantages are:

• light weight
  • less CPU usage
  • you can use at any baudrate (i.e. 3600, 5115, etc.). Particularly suitable for low baudrates, since it not implement delay tables.
  • better start and stop bit detections (i think... standard software serial library tends to hang for a long time when it loses sync and data arrives continuously).
  • receive only (this may not be an advantage).

Put the tiny folder in the usual place (under the hardware folder). Then move the contents of the tiny folder into a subfolder named 'avr'. So for example my tiny files are located at:

...\arduino-1.5\hardware\tiny\avr

Then, copy the "platform.txt" file from:
...\arduino-1.5\hardware\arduino\avr\platform.txt
To:
...\arduino-1.5\hardware\tiny\avr\platform.txt

And voila, that should be all it takes. Restart the IDE and away you go.

The good news is that my fix for tiny85's and tiny84's to prevent errors when the compiled size is greater than 4kB still works in Arduino 1.5.1:

I's thinking that the /avr folder should have some role in this, you confirm that I've seen right. :wink:
This evening I'll try your suggestions :wink:

The good news is that my fix for tiny85's and tiny84's to prevent errors when the compiled size is greater than 4kB still works in Arduino 1.5.1:
ATTinyCore/PCREL Patch for GCC at master ยท TCWORLD/ATTinyCore ยท GitHub

I don't have this issue because I use Linux with the last 3.4.1 toolchain from Atmel.

@Tom Carpenter:
your solution worked fine for me, too. Thnak you :wink:

@Coding Badly:
if Tom has found the right place where to put the folders, is there any other issue between the actual version of the Tiny core (0100-0015) and the Arduino IDE 1.5.1?

leo72:
@Tom Carpenter:
your solution worked fine for me, too. Thnak you :wink:

OK, I was able to compile but I was NOT able to upload the sketch on a Tiny84. There's something else to change...

Oh right yeah forgot that. You have to now specify the upload tool in the boards.txt file.

To do that you need to add these lines for each entry:

attiny84at1.bootloader.tool=avrdude
attiny84at1.upload.tool=avrdude

Also, if you haven't already got one, you may have to copy the programmers.txt file from the arduino folder as well. I am not sure that this is needed though as it results in duplicate programmers in the IDE programmer window.

Uhmm... seems to me that it's easier for now to keep both 1.0.2 and 1.5.1 versions of the IDE :wink:

To make things easier, I have attached my boards.txt file.

This one also subdivides the entries into the new board/processor menus.

boards.txt (26.5 KB)

Thanks, Tom. But the problem isn't the entries that have to be put into boards.txt but the double entries that you said me they appear in the menus.

PapaG:
I have a couple of questions:

In the Tools > Board > ... menu in Arduino 1.0.1(OS X) there are several ATtinys listed but in the /Applications/Arduino\ 1.0.1.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/boards.txt file there doesn't seem to be any reference to the ATtiny. Where is the boards.txt file for the ATtinys? I see the boards.txt file in /arduino-tiny-0100-0015 but that folder is not in my Arduino 1.0.1 application folder.

Okay, I finally figured this out. Under OS X, your Arduino sketches are in the folder: ~username/Documents/Arduino. On my system, for whatever reason, there was a folder: ~username/Documents/Arduino/hardware/attiny that had a boards.txt file that had the ATtiny processor options. Arduino 1.0.1 was reading that file and including it in its Tools > Board menu. Deleting the folder removed the ATtiny entries.

So, Arduino IDE for OS X combines the entries in boards.txt files it finds, in both its application folder and its sketch folder, into one Tool > Board menu.

leo72:
Thanks, Tom. But the problem isn't the entries that have to be put into boards.txt but the double entries that you said me they appear in the menus.

That was just duplicate programmers, not duplicate entries for boards. However if you delete the 'programmers.txt' file in the tiny/avr/ directory, it still works and the duplicate entries go away.

Thanks for your tests, during these days I didn't work on it because I had to finish another thing. I'll try as soon as possible.