Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Tiny  (Read 49727 times)
Dallas, TX
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a couple of questions:

In the Tools > Board > ... menu in Arduino 1.0.1(OS X) there are several ATtinys listed but in the /Applications/Arduino\ 1.0.1.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/boards.txt file there doesn't seem to be any reference to the ATtiny. Where is the boards.txt file for the ATtinys? I see the boards.txt file in /arduino-tiny-0100-0015 but that folder is not in my Arduino 1.0.1 application folder.

Okay, I finally figured this out. Under OS X, your Arduino sketches are in the folder:  ~username/Documents/Arduino. On my system, for whatever reason, there was a folder: ~username/Documents/Arduino/hardware/attiny that had a boards.txt file that had the ATtiny processor options. Arduino 1.0.1 was reading that file and including it in its Tools > Board menu. Deleting the folder removed the ATtiny entries.

So, Arduino IDE for OS X combines the entries in boards.txt files it finds, in both its application folder and its sketch folder, into one Tool > Board menu.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:37:44 pm by PapaG » Logged

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

Thanks, Tom. But the problem isn't the entries that have to be put into boards.txt but the double entries that you said me they appear in the menus.
That was just duplicate programmers, not duplicate entries for boards. However if you delete the 'programmers.txt' file in the tiny/avr/ directory, it still works and the duplicate entries go away.

~Tom~

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Thanks, Tom. But the problem isn't the entries that have to be put into boards.txt but the double entries that you said me they appear in the menus.
That was just duplicate programmers, not duplicate entries for boards. However if you delete the 'programmers.txt' file in the tiny/avr/ directory, it still works and the duplicate entries go away.
Thanks for your tests, during these days I didn't work on it because I had to finish another thing. I'll try as soon as possible.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

"Launch4j An error occurred while starting the application." ... argh!  I'll work on 1.5 support when 1.5 runs on this computer.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Then, copy the "platform.txt" file from:
...\arduino-1.5\hardware\arduino\avr\platform.txt
To:
...\arduino-1.5\hardware\tiny\avr\platform.txt

Ugh.  That's a maintenance nightmare.  If the Arduino folks change the build process (e.g. add new options to go with a new compiler) the Tiny Core will still use the "old" process.

Unfortunately, the IDE crashes if that file is not present.

Does anyone know of a way to reference the platform.txt file in the Arduino IDE directory?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Never mind.  Apparently an empty platform.txt does the trick.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:02:54 am by Coding Badly » Logged

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

Never mind.  Apparently an empty platform.txt does the trick.
Good news.  smiley-wink

Coming back to the IDE 1.5, I noticed that the Boards menu has the same bug of the Sketchs menu: if you have a lot of entries in it, simpli it doesn't scroll up and down, showing only the first entries.
I have a loto of boards because I use the Tiny core and a mod for the IDE to be able to work with 644/1284 MCUs. Plus the boards that come originally. So, I have a lot of entries that goes over the bottom border of the screen. Is only me (Linux box) or someone else has the same problem?
In this condition, I must use 2 different IDEs (IDE 1.5 for DUE and IDE 1.0.2 for UNO/Leonardo/Tinies/644-1284 etc)...  smiley-roll-sweat

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Never mind.  Apparently an empty platform.txt does the trick.
Good news.  smiley-wink

Actually, it's not.  I was too hasty to post.  It does not work.   smiley-cry

So, back to my earlier question...

Does anyone know of a way to reference the platform.txt file in the Arduino IDE directory?

Coming back to the IDE 1.5, I noticed that the Boards menu has the same bug of the Sketchs menu: if you have a lot of entries in it, simpli it doesn't scroll up and down, showing only the first entries.

That's unfortunate.

I have a loto of boards because I use the Tiny core...

For the Tiny Core, I'll be breaking the menu in two.  The first level will be the processor, the second level will be Processor Speed.  Unfortunately, there's no way to further divide the menu or I would.  That cuts the "top" entries to just three.

It would be nice if there was an option to "disable" an entry (leave it in boards.txt but not have it included in the menu).

and a mod for the IDE to be able to work with 644/1284 MCUs.

I suspect that too is fairly easy to break apart.

Plus the boards that come originally.

Bear in mind that you can edit boards.txt and remove unused entries (it's the first thing I do with the boards.txt that comes with the Arduino IDE).

So, I have a lot of entries that goes over the bottom border of the screen. Is only me (Linux box) or someone else has the same problem?

I do.

Global Moderator
Italy
Brattain Member
Logic is my way
View Profile

I didn't have time to make tests because in this days I worked at my leOS2 scheduler so I don't know if there's a method or a trick to do that.
I cannot help you, sorry.

Bear in mind that you can edit boards.txt and remove unused entries (it's the first thing I do with the boards.txt that comes with the Arduino IDE).
I know. It's the first thing that I do too. I cut all the entries not used like old boards or useless clocks, both from Arduino boards.txt and from Tiny boards.txt.

So, I have a lot of entries that goes over the bottom border of the screen. Is only me (Linux box) or someone else has the same problem?

I do.

Uhm... it's time to notify the problem...  smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Code:
C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pattiny13 -cstk500v1 -PCOM6 -b9600 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:{bootloader.extended_fuses}:m -Uhfuse:w:0xFF:m -Ulfuse:w:0x2A:m

"efuse" memory type not defined for part "ATtiny13"

Argh!!!  I've been playing with version 1.5 for three hours and I already hate it!

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Code:
avrdude: can't open input file C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/empty13Aat1.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: read from file 'C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/empty13Aat1.hex' failed

Oops.  Looking in the wrong root for the bootloader.

Code:
C:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino\arduino-1.5.1r2/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -q -q -pattiny13 -cstk500v1 -PCOM6 -b9600 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:{bootloader.extended_fuses}:m -Uhfuse:w:0xFF:m -Ulfuse:w:0x2A:m
"efuse" memory type not defined for part "ATtiny13"

Oops.  Using the tools.avrdude.erase.pattern from the wrong platform.txt file.

I give up.  I'll try again when 1.5.2 has been released.

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

I found a reference to the arduino core in the platforms.txt file which should be 'tiny'. I have change that and attached it.

I'm not having any problems with 1.5.0, though it seems in 1.5.1 they changed how the menu's work so the diving of boards into submenus that I had done doesn't work anymore. Other than that though all is well (maybe its because I have a different core? though there shouldn't be an issue with that from the IDEs point of view).

* platform.txt (3.92 KB - downloaded 19 times.)

~Tom~

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Doesn't help.  The tools.avrdude.erase and tools.avrdude.bootloader entries from the IDE platform.txt file are used instead of the ones from the tiny file.

Other than that though all is well (maybe its because I have a different core? though there shouldn't be an issue with that from the IDEs point of view).

It's not a core issue.  It's an IDE issue.  1.5.1 has bugs in how platform.txt is handled.  There are also some fundamental problems with the way entries are defined in platform.txt.

Thank you for trying to help.

View Profile

Dropping into this thread out of the blue and starting with Arduino IDE 1.5.2, what would be the easiest way to get the arduino-tiny library going? I've looked at the page on google code, but it looks like it's all for the 1.0.x library layout.

-jcw

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Dropping into this thread out of the blue and starting with Arduino IDE 1.5.2, what would be the easiest way to get the arduino-tiny library going? I've looked at the page on google code, but it looks like it's all for the 1.0.x library layout.

Install 1.0.x...?

You can easily have both versions working side-by-side.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
Jump to: