Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: MIDI Apps - who want some ?  (Read 1653 times)
Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey guys, while we wait for some final parts on our Drum Machine project, I was wondering on some small MIDI Apps which would take just Midi Input, Output and some sort of Interface to see what's going on and make choices.

Here's a few ideas:

1) Arpegiator - simple or complex
2) Mellody - you play a chord at the bottom of your keyboard, and at the top, the white keys follow the mellody of that chord.
3) Key Switching - lets you select your midi channel by using the lower keys of your keyboard. Most MIDI controllers have a channel selector but are a bit tricky to use. With this, you can select things faster
4) Key Transposer - the lower keys let you transpose the whole keyboard with one touch

And so on...

What you guys think?

Best Regards, WilliamK

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Another idea I just had. ;-)

5) MIDI Loop Recorder - for when inspiration strikes. ;-) You record something, let it loop, play along, record something else, and so on....

Wk

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

And yet another idea:

6) MIDI Playback for Live usage. You record some midi tracks, save into the flash or memory, and have it play tracks with the midi keyboard. EG: Note 60 starts a bass line. Note 62 a Synth Line 1. Note 64 Stops Synth Line 1 and Starts Synth Line 2. And so on.

Wk

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I like the usage of lower keys as trigger - Some thinking-out-loud ideas...

7) Start Stop a metronome and adjust its speed (follow the rythm)

smiley-cool Switch on/off/dim my LED lights above the sheet music.

9) Send a signal to my PC to switch to the next page of sheet music e.g. page-forward in a PDF; another key to start at the first page again. A far more complex application could include selection of PDF's etc. No need for PC keyboard/mouse, Midi driven application

10) Make a PC MP3 player MIDI controllable, for play along with some music - practice ..  some similarity with 9,

11) Start my coffee machine !

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Hehe, good ideas indeed. ;-)

Wk

Italy
jayduino rox
View Profile

I am working on something that converts a 3-axis accelerometer into midi control data (changing in real time volume, pitch bend, expression, vibrato, special SysEx messages etc.)

;-)

Juergen

View Profile

william,
I would kill for an arpeggiator.  In fact, i was searching for one when I found your drum machine!  I would pay for the code like you do with the drum machine (which I will do as soon as I finish my current project).

I also like the idea of a midi loop recorder

View Profile

@antman - I made an arduino based arp based on the RPG8 in propellerheads reason - https://github.com/hotchk155/Arduinopeggiator

(clip shows it not quite finished :o)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:05:24 am by hotchk155 » Logged

View Profile

The main Midi functions I've always wanted from such a box: modulation on Midi messages.

1) Midi Delay: A Midi based delay effect like the ones proposed on Synthedit based VST modules.
When transmitting a note,  repeating it 2*3 times more at a configurable delay, but with velocity reduced. A Midi emulated version of the Delay effect indeed.

2) Route and replace - e.g. : replace Modulation by current note Velocity
That would allow for example to command the cutoff filter of the synth engine with velocity.

3) Midi LFO / A(D)SR applied on Modulation or pitch bend.
With some clever math applied to the incoming Mod / Pitch Bend CC messages, add an LFO or state triggered A(D)SR to the modulation parameters, or any other one for sound enhancing purpose.

That's all I have on top of my head, hope it helps.

Arduino sound Reseach - http://bit.ly/fullmaj [fr][en] | Homemade Free VST - http://zomg.zxq.net [en]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: