Go Down

Topic: MIDI Apps - who want some ? (Read 2211 times) previous topic - next topic

WilliamK Govinda

Hey guys, while we wait for some final parts on our Drum Machine project, I was wondering on some small MIDI Apps which would take just Midi Input, Output and some sort of Interface to see what's going on and make choices.

Here's a few ideas:

1) Arpegiator - simple or complex
2) Mellody - you play a chord at the bottom of your keyboard, and at the top, the white keys follow the mellody of that chord.
3) Key Switching - lets you select your midi channel by using the lower keys of your keyboard. Most MIDI controllers have a channel selector but are a bit tricky to use. With this, you can select things faster
4) Key Transposer - the lower keys let you transpose the whole keyboard with one touch

And so on...

What you guys think?

Best Regards, WilliamK

WilliamK Govinda

Another idea I just had. ;-)

5) MIDI Loop Recorder - for when inspiration strikes. ;-) You record something, let it loop, play along, record something else, and so on....

WilliamK Govinda

And yet another idea:

6) MIDI Playback for Live usage. You record some midi tracks, save into the flash or memory, and have it play tracks with the midi keyboard. EG: Note 60 starts a bass line. Note 62 a Synth Line 1. Note 64 Stops Synth Line 1 and Starts Synth Line 2. And so on.

I like the usage of lower keys as trigger - Some thinking-out-loud ideas...

7) Start Stop a metronome and adjust its speed (follow the rythm)

8) Switch on/off/dim my LED lights above the sheet music.

9) Send a signal to my PC to switch to the next page of sheet music e.g. page-forward in a PDF; another key to start at the first page again. A far more complex application could include selection of PDF's etc. No need for PC keyboard/mouse, Midi driven application

10) Make a PC MP3 player MIDI controllable, for play along with some music - practice ..  some similarity with 9,

11) Start my coffee machine !

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

I am working on something that converts a 3-axis accelerometer into midi control data (changing in real time volume, pitch bend, expression, vibrato, special SysEx messages etc.)

I would kill for an arpeggiator.  In fact, i was searching for one when I found your drum machine!  I would pay for the code like you do with the drum machine (which I will do as soon as I finish my current project).

I also like the idea of a midi loop recorder

Nov 07, 2011, 12:02 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2011, 12:05 pm by hotchk155 Reason: 1
@antman - I made an arduino based arp based on the RPG8 in propellerheads reason - https://github.com/hotchk155/Arduinopeggiator
(clip shows it not quite finished :o)

The main Midi functions I've always wanted from such a box: modulation on Midi messages.

1) Midi Delay: A Midi based delay effect like the ones proposed on Synthedit based VST modules.
When transmitting a note,  repeating it 2*3 times more at a configurable delay, but with velocity reduced. A Midi emulated version of the Delay effect indeed.

2) Route and replace - e.g. : replace Modulation by current note Velocity
That would allow for example to command the cutoff filter of the synth engine with velocity.

3) Midi LFO / A(D)SR applied on Modulation or pitch bend.
With some clever math applied to the incoming Mod / Pitch Bend CC messages, add an LFO or state triggered A(D)SR to the modulation parameters, or any other one for sound enhancing purpose.

That's all I have on top of my head, hope it helps.
Blog, DIY Electronics & Stuff - http://www.banson.fr

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131