Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ethernet Shield stops working  (Read 3773 times)
Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

That is kinda what I am saying. The usb does not contribute anything to this except a reset when you connect it or open the serial monitor, and 5v power. I would try the switch/router change to insure it does not have a connection problem in the port that draws too much current, but I do not expect that to improve your situation.

The ethernet shield could fail if the onboard 3.3v regulator fails due to low input voltage. Just a thought...

Florida
All of our code is Y3K compliant!
View Profile

okay, thanks. So as far as you know, the shield should not be piggybacking onto the laptop's network connection...via the Arduino USB.

I think the wall wart 9 volt works, but it was not connected to a UPS....and brown-outs are absolutely possible around here. (lights dim momentarily when AC kicks on).  smiley

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

okay, thanks. So as far as you know, the shield should not be piggybacking onto the laptop's network connection...via the Arduino USB.

I think the wall wart 9 volt works, but it was not connected to a UPS....and brown-outs are absolutely possible around here. (lights dim momentarily when AC kicks on).  smiley
On #1, no. The w5100 has no way to connect to the Arduino. The Arduino is the SPI master and the shield is the slave. Unless the Arduino contacts the w5100, the w5100 has no way to communicate with the Arduino, except an interrupt on pin 2 that the library doesn't monitor.

On #2, that is not related strictly to Arduinos. My Mikrotik routers suffer from the same malady down to the ethernet port failing when the power browns out. I must reset them to get them started again. Needless to say, they are all on UPS devices now.

Florida
All of our code is Y3K compliant!
View Profile

Hey SurferTim,

Just wanted to check back in and let you know that it was the power that was causing an issue...actually it was a current issue. I replaced the wall transformer power supply and it made the connection stable. I am connected to a PHP web site I created on the Arduino and activated port forwarding to connect from the internet. Tried loading to one of our cloud servers, but have not figured that out yet. But the bottom line is that the Ethernet shield looks stable now with proper power and current. I've been hitting the site for most of the day with no problems.

Thanks much for the advice.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: