Go Down

Topic: Turning a motor into a servo (Read 2350 times) previous topic - next topic

fliggygeek

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent di

Fons1302

I saw it too, thanks. I didn't try it but know I did. The motor does some strange stuff but that could be due to the constants I used.
I asked my professor of Control Systems class and he too recommended to use stepper motors for my application. They are better for specific angle positioning. So I'll probably get a setup but don't know which one. Personnaly I've been a Pololu customer and they helped me out on the forum so I'll get it there... The A4983 stepper motor driver with the unipolar/bipolar 42x48mm stepper motor is less then 40 dollars and that wil probably the final decision. It is a bit more expensive than Sparkfun's mix. But the motor has a good holding torque which is nice and the driver can deliver more current. Its what they call 'learning money' :).
I'll use my 2 DC motors and dual motor driver for another project (or sell it to a friend)!

MarkT

Yes indeed. It can make up to 20kHz PWM signals. But the limitation is the Arduino's PWM frequency limits I think.

You can produce 256 levels of PWM at upto 62.5kHz with the ATmega's timers if programmed with divide-by-1 prescale.  By default they are set at divide-by-64.

A 'scope may be useful to determine what's going on.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Fons1302

Okay so my motor driver is the limit :). I used  a simple method to change PWM frequency (bit-banging PWM - see http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SecretsOfArduinoPWM). I posted the used code earlier. It is probably not efficient but it is all the arduino needs to do. I did not yet tried the timer method.

Thanks

Go Up