Go Down

Topic: I fried my Leonardo. Is it salvageable? (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic

evilgeniusha

Shortly after I got my first Arduino, a Leonardo, I plugged it into what I thought was a 12v dc supply. After the board failed to respond for about a minute I realized something was wrong and disconnected it then got out my multimeter. My power supply labeled 12v was putting out over 19v.  :smiley-sad:

I've already replaced the board but I was wondering if it's possible to get the first one working again. Is there any chance the main chip is okay and I just need to replace some transistors or something? How would I tell? If the main chip is damaged what's involved in replacing it? Any advice for a noob is appreciated.

CrossRoads

Its possible just the 5V regulator is gone. IC1, T1, U3.
Do you have 5V on the board?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

evilgeniusha

The 5v pin is giving ~4.8v when I connect USB power and ~5.7v when I plug in 9v from a battery pack. Is that  normal?

ChilliTronix

Why not try powering it from USB and see if it runs the last sketch on it? (I believe by default the blinking LED one?)

If that works, then try programming it from USB.

CrossRoads

No 5.7V is too high. Your 5V regulator is damaged somehow.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up